1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help Daisy!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HappyTails, Sep 23, 2015.

1. HappyTails

HappyTails Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2015
    Canada
    Forum posts

I wondered if somebody may be able to help me. I don't know exactly what is wrong with my duck Daisy. I've noticed over the past few weeks that for whatever reason the other ducks are hurting her. They're pecking at her and chasing her and she is starting to look very scruffy. A couple of days ago I went to put them in for the night I saw that Daisy could not walk. This is the first time that this is happened with any of our ducks. She seems to be fine with one leg, but cannot put weight down on the other leg. She hates to be picked up, so I have to chase her around to get her, which exasperates the problem.

I finally caught her, and then put her in a wire dog cage for the night. I have since moved her to a whole other barn, in a stall with a chicken that is recovering from bumble foot. She doesn't seem to have improved at all, but she seems to be eating and drinking still. But not very much. I have no idea if her injury was due to too much treading, a.k.a. raping by the other ducks, or if she's tripped and fallen. Is there anything that I should look for? Her leg looks a little swollen, but I cannot see any obvious signs of injury. Also I should note that she is panting with an open beak.

Also, one more question. Why is it that the ducks pick one duck to attack? I kept her drake separate with her the first night, and then when I went to put him in the stall with the other ducks, they all started attacking him! Why do they do this?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Duck social structure is hard to figure out. What I know is that if one is being picked on, it needs help. So rather than why, I can tell you what I would probably do, some of which you are already beginning to do.

Keep the injured duck in a relatively clean, safe place. I would get her into a tub of lukewarm water deep enough to float in and let her rest and relax for an hour or so.

She may have internal injuries, may have sprained muscles, pinched nerves, any number of things. She may have an internal infection.

I would consider getting her to a good duck vet if that is possible.

I would also consider oral antibiotic in case of infection.

Epsom salt compress followed with T-Relief ointment for the leg, twice a day but definitely at bedtime.

Poultry vitamins twice a week in her water.

If the drake is being picked on, protect him as well.

Split the flock up for a couple of days, then split them up again differently. Sometimes doing that will stop the harmful behavior. We don't know in advance what will work.

3. HappyTails

HappyTails Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2015
    Canada
    Wow, thank you! Should I make her bath have Epson salt in it? She really does not want to be touched, and is very frightened. We got the flock of ducks as seniors, from a bad place, they are all rescues. They are all frightened to be touched. I will not be able to put a compress on her leg. I may be able to get her in a tub of water though. What is T-Relief? How would I get antibiotics? Do you know if they would sell those from the farm store? I have human antibiotics here, but I would be very reluctant to give it to an animal. I would have no idea of the dose!

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @casportpony is helpful with dosage information - and has already shared a bit here on the Duck forum.

Epsom salt in bathwater is problematic because they drink bathwater and E.s. is a laxative. Perhaps someone else has a creative idea about that.

T-Relief can be found in some drugstores - call around, don't waste a trip. It's got calendula and other herbs. If you have calendula, st. john's wort and comfrey herbs, you can make an olive oil infusion with that and rub that on her leg.

Perhaps @veronicasmom has some ideas about handling skitterish ducks. Or @Miss Lydia has some ideas. Hmmmmm.

antibiotics are available online or at some feed stores.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    None of my Ducks except one likes to be picked up so I calmly walk them into their house or a corner of the yard and pick them up I don't chase them. Then you can loosely wrap her in a towel so she isn't fighting you and treat. I use a small bucket to soak a leg or foot putting warm water and ES into it mix it real well then I put both feet and legs into the bucket it's just easier than trying to soak just one. 1 gal of warm water to half cup of ES. Try to soak at least 5 mins or longer

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. ducks1959

ducks1959 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2015
    Greetings from smokey Spokane Amiga, I replied to your advice about terrified ducks a month ago. It certainly worked well. My ducks now live in the house. I always wanted an indoor pool but I pictured something quite different than a wading pool in my basement. You information about Daisy is fascinating. Are you familiar with food grade hydrogen peroxide for wounds. It works great on all creatures and is safe. Thomas Tannler

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thomas, I will look into that - food grade, you say? Hmmm. Thanks for the tip!

8. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    A little tip to help make it less stressful on her (and easier on you), if you can grab a towel and "toss" it over her carefully to catch her it works. I had to catch my neighbor's duck for her. I used a large towel, got her into the corner of the fenced in yard, carefully tossed the towel on her, and she laid down. I immediately picked her up with the towel draped on her, handed her to her owner who took the head part of the towel off but kept her body in it until she got her into the mini coop. I did this in a VERY kind way. While I am sure she wasn't thrilled with me approaching, she wasn't out of her mind scared.

2 people like this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @HappyTails how is your duck?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by