Please help! day 17 I have "weepy" leaky & smelly eggs. Why?

maf2008

Songster
12 Years
Feb 19, 2009
Pleeeaaase help! I have "weepy" leaky and smelly eggs. Why?

I am on day 17.... with these eggs in the bator!
he.gif
The eggs are fine but each day or two I find weepy and small "pinhole" leaks with smelly stuff oozing out.
ep.gif

On the white eggs I candle and most are moving... There are lots of darker eggs too and I can't see what is going on inside the shell with my LED light.
hit.gif

What causes pin hole leaks?
idunno.gif

I have the "dry method" fo just a 1/4 cup of water in the hovabater tray... The temp has been set on a digital therm at 99.5 to 101 tops!

I did toss out all of the leaky eggs. Some of the eggs were from a refrigator and fertile. Most are from my own rooster and fertile.

What should I do? What can prevent this from happening again?
bow.gif

Please someone help!

somehow they have been invaded by bacteria. from dirty nestboxes, improper washing, etc. The weeping stuff is loaded with bacteria and can invade the other eggs so be careful torching them along with the good eggs.

What to do to prevent this again? I will do "back to back hatches"
I do not know why some eggs have this problems and others do not "weep"
he.gif
Today after clearing out the "leaky eggs" the bator smells better and I candled and most of the eggs I can see have live chicks... Do I just finish this batch and hatch these eggs & will the chicks be healthy?

How do I clean the bator for the next batch?
idunno.gif
Thanks.
Quote:

I'm so sorry to hear about your rotten eggs.
sad.png

I think you've done the right thing. It could be anything that causes the death of the ducklings before the hatch and leads to rotten eggs. It could be a dirty incubator, or dirty eggs, or over-washed eggs, or just bad luck (or, my 8-year-old adds--a too-hot incubator). Since it was a lot of them, it was probably not just bad luck--so you're right to try and figure out what it was. Were they fertile? Developing properly?

I don't know what the standard procedure is for cleaning the incubator. What I did: I washed the plastic water tray VERY thoroughly with soapy water and then with baking soda mixed with dish soap. I scrubbed it as clean as I possibly could, getting every nook and cranny. After rinsing, I disinfected with vinegar & water.

I did the same thing for the wire and the little clips.

The styrofoam was not terribly dirty. I just got off the visible bits of dirt, then wiped it all down with soapy water. I rinsed and sprayed with vinegar & water.

I hope that's good enough. Some folks probably use bleach or professional disinfectant. I will let you all know how this next hatch goes after the vinegar disinfection!
smile.png

UPDATE! Hi... after I tood out all eggs carefully and "wiped them with a warm rag" I cleaned the hovabator with hot water and soap. dried and put bacl all 17 day old eggs in aout 5 minutes.... I keep finding more "weepy and sticky" eggs AFTER I have cleaned everything. Should I toss this batch? or wait to see if hatched? Will these chickens pass bacteria to the chicks in the other pen?

I know what might have caused the issue to start with.... I had a weak day old chick from a shipment at a hatchery and put it in the bator to warm up. (the chick died anyway) and I did have eggs from another source that were fertile and had been in the fridge. I THINK other people have hatched these....

Shouls I toss this batch or even try to hatch. Tomorrow is DAY 18!!!
he.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif
hit.gif
barnie.gif

Quote:

Those that are weeping are not going to hatch. They might explode and contaminate the rest of the eggs though...

I would wait until dark (unless you have a good, deep-dark room), and candle the remaining eggs. Keep the live ones, discard the rest.

That must be very frustrating. Good luck, and I hope you're able to salvage at least some of them.

Back
Top Bottom