1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Help!! Day 23 of incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MotherKocher, Sep 25, 2016.

1. MotherKocher

MotherKocher Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
    Arizona
    Today is supposed to be day 23 of incubation and one chick pipped about 4 hours ago but hasn't done anything since. I have kept the temperature at 99.5 degrees (minus a few times when the alarm went off to let me know it got a little low). The humidity was at 55-60 percent until the last few days and I've had it at 65 percent. I have an automatic turner and took them out of the turner to put the eggs on their side 3 days ago (I know, a little late). I took them out to check viability on day 18 and they were all moving and doing great. Now I don't know what to do!!! Only one pipped and then nothing, no peeping or anything and the rest haven't done a thing. What should I do?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Well, I'm new to hatching, but it seems like your temp is too low and humidity is too high. The temp should be between 99-101.

Lots of ideas on humidity, but I'm using "dry hatch" method, which seems to work for a lot of people and gives higher hatch rates than traditional incubator manuals would indicate. For dry hatch, you run with lower humidity (25-35%) for the first 18 days, to dry excess water out of the shell and create a breathing space for the chick. Then, you increase it to 65-70%, so there is sufficient lubrication for the chick to get out of the shell. I'm having a hard time getting my humidity to stay above 63%.

The low temp might cause the chicks to have a delayed hatch. I'm not sure......The high humidity, well, that can cause the chick to drown when it pips through the membrane into the air sac.

I'm not sure, maybe you leave them for another day and see if any pip....

The one that pipped, did it ever hatch?

3. MotherKocher

Aug 29, 2016
    Arizona
    Yes it did!! I'm so excited. One other has now made a little hole, too. Hopefully I'll at the very least have those two so one isn't lonely.

4. MotherKocher

Aug 29, 2016
    Arizona
    I was having trouble getting my humidity to go above 63 as well but I added a full cup of water and a soaking wet wash cloth (slightly rung out) and now it's at 70%!

5. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Wow, wish I could get 70%!

I'm throwing in the towel! LOL....

6. MotherKocher

Aug 29, 2016
    Arizona
    Lol! I hope it helps [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by