PLEASE HELP!!!! Day 26 and only one chick hatched out of 40

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by countrygirl911, Jan 29, 2011.

1. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    My cousin is attempting to incubate eggs for the first time all by herself with no help the eggs are on day 24 and only 1 of 40 has hatched and that was early yesterday morning but no other signs of the others hatching i told her to give it a few more days before giving up is there any other advice i could give her she did open up the incubator after it was on lockdown but on day 22 to do the float test

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  2. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    Can Anybody Please help me

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Did she candle any at all during the incubation? I mean, are you sure they were all fertile?

4. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    It's so hard to give advice on this without knowing anything about the type of incubator she is using, whether she calibrated her equipemnt first, if the eggs were shipped or not, if she got them from a reputable breeder/seller, if she had any temp spikes/drops etc etc.

Without knowing any of this I'm afraid she just has to wait and see.

5. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    she has the little giant incubator she only candled them a few time but she was not sure what she was looking at as for the eggs she got them from me and i know that they are fertile i have hatched a few from my eggs before just testing them out she is giving it to monday if noting she is going to open a few to see what might have happened she had the temp at 99.5 like the instructions said but maybe that was to low she has now decided that she is going to give me the incubator for me to hatch her some chickens and correction this is day 26

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  6. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    Please Help

7. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    day 26 seems too long. Have her listen for peeps and candle them for shadows moving. If nothing then they are probly not alive. She can test one by opening it by the fat end. Make a small crack and peel it slowly. See if there is a chick or not, if there is, push it and see if it moves or if it is hard. Thats what I would do. Good luck

8. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

9. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    My lg drove me crazy trying to get accurate temps but honestly I never had a day 26. I had 3 thermometers in this blasted thing and had different readings. But candling eggs midway gave me hope.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I don't allow them to go beyond Day 22, personally. 26 days is way too long. They're probably all gone by now. If her LG bator is a still air (no fan), then her temps were too low. Still air requires 101-102 at the top of the eggs, not 99.5.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by