PeepingK

Chirping
Nov 12, 2021
Hello, this is my first post here on BYC and I’m in need of some advice.
To make a long story short I have a duck egg on almost day 28 that hadn’t popped internally. There was one other egg in the incubator with it but unfortunately didn’t make it last night and I don’t know the cause of death I’m thinking maybe humidity issues?? I candled the other egg which I also thought had died because I saw no movement and the inside of the egg looked strange. So I needed up opening the shell above the air cell to figure out what happened but I ended up seeing movement! So now, regretting my decision to open up the shell, I ended up getting a small cut out piece of plastic ziplock bag and taping it over the hole in the shell I just made and poking a few small holes in it. While I am relieved that the duckling is still alive I’m also really concerned because it’s almost day 28 and it still hasn’t internally pipped yet. Also the membrane around the air cel is all white except for a small area that’s see through (I can see veins). and dry to the touch. It’s also very wrinkled looking and the duckling is pushed right up against it. Is this normal?? I’m worried that the humidity might have been too low during incubation so I don’t know if that’s why the duckling isn’t hatching now or not. I have the humidity set to 79% currently. Should I increase this? The current temp is around 99 f.
I should also mention that the plastic I taped over the opening of hole has condensation on it. Is this good or bad? I am so heartbroken that the other chick didn’t make it and now I’m worried that this one isn’t going make it either because of the hole above the air cell that I made :( This all happened last night before bed and I checked up on the egg this morning (as I’m writing this) and the baby is still moving around so that’s good I guess...
I genuinely don’t know what to do now. Should I wait and hope that it pops through the membrane? Should I be checking for an external pip on the shell (I’m thinking maybe it’s positioned the wrong way in the egg?)? Should I try making a small opening in the membrane to see if I can see how’s it’s positioned? Should I just leave it and hope for the best? I really want this baby to make it and I will do anything I can to ensure that happens. Somebody please help me!
I will try to take a picture if you guys think it’s safe to open the incubator.

Hello, this is my first post here on BYC and I’m in need of some advice.
To make a long story short I have a duck egg on almost day 28 that hadn’t popped internally. There was one other egg in the incubator with it but unfortunately didn’t make it last night and I don’t know the cause of death I’m thinking maybe humidity issues?? I candled the other egg which I also thought had died because I saw no movement and the inside of the egg looked strange. So I needed up opening the shell above the air cell to figure out what happened but I ended up seeing movement! So now, regretting my decision to open up the shell, I ended up getting a small cut out piece of plastic ziplock bag and taping it over the hole in the shell I just made and poking a few small holes in it. While I am relieved that the duckling is still alive I’m also really concerned because it’s almost day 28 and it still hasn’t internally pipped yet. Also the membrane around the air cel is all white except for a small area that’s see through (I can see veins). and dry to the touch. It’s also very wrinkled looking and the duckling is pushed right up against it. Is this normal?? I’m worried that the humidity might have been too low during incubation so I don’t know if that’s why the duckling isn’t hatching now or not. I have the humidity set to 79% currently. Should I increase this? The current temp is around 99 f.
I should also mention that the plastic I taped over the opening of hole has condensation on it. Is this good or bad? I am so heartbroken that the other chick didn’t make it and now I’m worried that this one isn’t going make it either because of the hole above the air cell that I made :( This all happened last night before bed and I checked up on the egg this morning (as I’m writing this) and the baby is still moving around so that’s good I guess...
I genuinely don’t know what to do now. Should I wait and hope that it pops through the membrane? Should I be checking for an external pip on the shell (I’m thinking maybe it’s positioned the wrong way in the egg?)? Should I try making a small opening in the membrane to see if I can see how’s it’s positioned? Should I just leave it and hope for the best? I really want this baby to make it and I will do anything I can to ensure that happens. Somebody please help me!
I will try to take a picture if you guys think it’s safe to open the incubator.
I have just read your post now
How did it end up going ?
I don’t have anyadvice to give as I’m currently incubating my first batch of duck eggs myself

Get a water based lubricant and a cotton bud, and put lubricant over that membrane to wet it, otherwise it may dry out and prevent the duckling from turning/ moving etc. and then cover it and monitor it often, every hour or so to see if it needs more lube. if you can’t find a surgical lubricant you can use something like kygell or lubricants that you would use with a partner in a pinch (try and find something with no fragrance and make sure it is water based)
if worst comes to worst you can use just water but it dries out five minutes after you put it on. Also add some photos or video if you can so ppl can see what you are dealing with
Anybody? Please any advice would be appreciate

Get a water based lubricant and a cotton bud, and put lubricant over that membrane to wet it, otherwise it may dry out and prevent the duckling from turning/ moving etc. and then cover it and monitor it often, every hour or so to see if it needs more lube. if you can’t find a surgical lubricant you can use something like kygell or lubricants that you would use with a partner in a pinch (try and find something with no fragrance and make sure it is water based)
if worst comes to worst you can use just water but it dries out five minutes after you put it on. Also add some photos or video if you can so ppl can see what you are dealing with
Oops just realised this was a month ago so it’s already happened by now,.. dunno why it was showing up in recent posts up with stuff in the last few mins…

Back
Top Bottom