Please help! Day 35 and no pipping but lots of movement

Jorduck

Hatching
Mar 11, 2017
Please help me! I have a Muscovy duck egg and its day 35 but it hasn't piped yet! But when I candle it there is a lot of movement and the air sac seems like it's been pushed against and is slightly deformed, like the embryo is seeping into the air sac. But no obvious piping other than that.

Last edited:
Please help me! I have a Muscovy duck egg and its day 35 but it hasn't piped yet! But when I candle it there is a lot of movement and the air sac seems like it's been pushed against and is slightly deformed, like the embryo is seeping into the air sac. But no obvious piping other than that.
@FoodFreedomNow

I just started hatching my ducklings yesterday, on the 31'st day of incubation. It appears my incubator temp is at least 0.5 degrees off. I now have two fully hatched and in the brooder but two more are just pipped and not zipped. I "was" going to give up and toss them on day 29 but they were still moving (slightly), so my duck adviser said to keep going. Sooooo glad I did. I figure the remaining two will finally break free sometime in the early AM tomorrow.

I would say if you still have movement of any kind, keep going. I figured out that my eggs took two+ extra days because they were rather cool (70F) when I put them in the pre-warmed 'bator, and I started counting from the day I put them in, instead of the next day. Add to that a 0.5 degree short, and it makes a for a late hatch.

If you have a stethoscope, you can listen for heartbeats.

Ok so it's been a few days and still no obvious piping! BUT ITS STILL MOVING AROUND!!! Also when I candle it I noticed that along the air sac where I said it seems deformed, there is this throbbing like movement and it almost seems like a heartbeat because it's so rhythmic.

Last edited:
If it's moving, keep going. What temp is your 'bator? Have you stopped turning? Are you, or have you been, doing a cool down each day If so, for how long? What kind of duck egg is it?

If it's moving, keep going.  What temp is your 'bator?  Have you stopped turning?  Are you, or have you been, doing a cool down each day  If so, for how long?  What kind of duck egg is it?

My temp is the required temp I think, it's an old incubator that I borrowed from my neighbor, I stopped turning on day 32 since it was a Muscovy egg but it's been a week since day 32. I don't do a daily cool down, I didn't know you were supposed to, I've never read that in any of the sites

My temp is the required temp I think, it's an old incubator that I borrowed from my neighbor, I stopped turning on day 32 since it was a Muscovy egg but it's been a week since day 32. I don't do a daily cool down, I didn't know you were supposed to, I've never read that in any of the sites

Have you taken the temp in your 'bator? Because temps are not always "true" just because the built-in thermometer says so. Even store-bought thermometers can be off. My point is, you could be running a bit cool and not know it unless you check with two or three different thermometers or at least a digital thermometer. Muscovy's take longer to hatch under ideal conditions. So just keep working on it. Meantime, there is a discussion of "cooling time" for incubating eggs on the Metzer website, pros and cons, I decided to do cooling phases and it lengthened my hatch time by at least 2 days. I also found out from my egg supplier that she incubates at 100 degrees F which is higher than the instructions on my 'bator and higher than what I found on websites. She has exactly 28 day hatches.
My nerves were completely frazzled by the time all the eggs finally hatched.

Have you taken the temp in your 'bator?  Because temps are not always "true" just because the built-in thermometer says so.  Even store-bought thermometers can be off.  My point is, you could be running a bit cool and not know it unless you check with two or three different thermometers or at least a digital thermometer.  Muscovy's take longer to hatch under ideal conditions.  So just keep working on it.  Meantime, there is a discussion of "cooling time" for incubating eggs on the Metzer website, pros and cons, I decided to do cooling phases and it lengthened my hatch time by at least 2 days. I also found out from my egg supplier that she incubates at 100 degrees F which is higher than the instructions on my 'bator and higher than what I found on websites.  She has exactly 28 day hatches.
My nerves were completely frazzled by the time all the eggs finally hatched.

What happens if it's slightly to cool? I heard that it slows the hatching process, is that true?

Back
Top Bottom