Please help! Day old chick has spraddled legs! What should we do?

Geochickenfam

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2021
Early this morning a chick hatched out from one of the fertile eggs our broody hen remained sitting on, it was 3 days late than the excepted 21 days, it seems healthy but legs are to the side (called spraddled legs?) it the first time we’ve hatched eggs. What should we do? Would really appreciate some help. Thanks :)

I answered a similar question for another member recently. Here is what I posted.
splay treatment.PNG

You can home make something similar from rubber bands, and athletic tape. Make sure you first wrap legs with a gauze, or cloth to prevent tape from sticking tightly to chicks leg.
Peeps that hatch out many chicks would have these professional grade devices on hand to treat their chicks,,, when things happen.

I treated my pigeons' splay legs, long ago, with home made devices.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

thanks for you reply, we read up on different methods and ended up using a bandaid, do you think that would be strong enough to work? She/he seems quite tired (probably from hatching?) so isn’t interested in trying to walk right now, just sleep.

Anything is worth trying.. If band aid breaks off, then progress to wrapping with tissue, or gauze, or scrap cloth, and use whatever tape you may have on hand.

Back
Top Bottom