Please Help: Day-old chick With Leg Issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rabrabs14, Nov 12, 2016.

1. rabrabs14

rabrabs14 Chirping

Sep 27, 2016
    Iowa, USA
    This chick was born yesterday and has been in the incubator all night. It was malpositioned and had a saddled air cell (shipped egg). Yesterday it was flailing both legs but now it won't move its right leg. The right leg 'hip' is protruding and is a red-ish color. I pulled it back a little to stretch it and the chick does not seem to be in pain. Will it just get better with time, or is there a serious issue??
    The chick also does not keep its wings by its sides but outwards all the time. It moves every once in a while and peeps, so it seems lively.
    Any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would get some chick vitamins to treat it's water, or give it PolyVisol baby vitamins 2 drops daily. Getting enough to drink and eat can be challenging. Chicks with problems like this may not make it, but I would use a chick chair to get it up with it's feet touching the floor. Place food and water close. Here is some info: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  3. rabrabs14

rabrabs14 Chirping

Sep 27, 2016
    Iowa, USA
    Okay, should I stent it's leg with tape at all? I was thinking it might be a slipped tendon or something of the sort.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I haven't treated a lot of leg problems except for a case of splay leg and a couple of chicks who could not seem to stand due to possible brain damage. Usually with pics and threads of a slipped tendon, they can stand, but one leg is out to the side or back. I would try to figure out what the problem is first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by