PLEASE HELP! DEAD CHICKEN! Marek's??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LisaChick1, Oct 15, 2014.

1. LisaChick1

LisaChick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    Carmel Valley
    My buff started limping suddenly yesterday and had a small cut on her leg. I quarantined her in a crate with water and food. I left this morning and came back home and she is dead in the crate!?!? I'm devastated. She was approximately 5 months old... I'm terrified my other chickens could get whatever she had but see no signs or symptoms yet. Could this be Marek's? What else could it be.... And what do I do if it was? Is there anything I can do to save my 11 other chickens and ducks!? Please please help!!!!!!!!!!!
    All including her free range on occasion, have a warm safe coup and are happy healthy birds.... They all came in after free ranging yesterday afternoon which was when she first started to limp and I found a splinter in her ankle and a minor scrape.... It spiraled downward so fast. Is Marek's this quick of a process? How do I know if other chickens have it unless it is too late? Can my ducks contract the disease.... I'm SOOOOO SAD and SO worried for my others....

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would refrigerate her body in a plastic bag, and ship her tomorrow morning to your state vet for a necropsy. that is the only way to know for sure. In California they are free except for shipping at UC Davis, but in most states there is a fee. Botulism that can be common in ducks and chickens who free range, is caused by eating maggots or remains of dead animals or vegetation, and can cause paralysis and death. The cut on the leg could have been coincidental, or maybe she was attacked and injured and that was the only mark. Here is a good link about necropsies, and if you are not in CA, you can contact your state vet: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799747/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  3. LisaChick1

LisaChick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    Carmel Valley
    Thank you so much for your response. When I say free range, they are still contained in a very large fenced in garden area.... And I was present the entire time they were out so I know she was not attacked. I'm going to scan the yard for animals or old vegetation, but we keep it so clean.... but of all the culprits botulism sounds like it fits the most.... I'm so sad. Thank you again for your knowledge and wisdom on the situation. [​IMG]

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    That would be odd for mareks to kill that fast without symptoms first. It could be a coincidence. Testing could possibly shed some light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by