Please help..Deep lacerations in both earlobes

JEM3965

In the Brooder
May 11, 2020
I have read all the threads pertaining to care. All great information and I'm doing all recommendations. The one question I have is separating. I have my hen in a crate inside our large run, this way she can see the rest of the flock. I am currently treating her wounds. She is eating, drinking and acting pretty normal. Here's where my question comes in....What to do at night when all others go in the coop? Do I leave her in the crate in the run until healed (no active bleeding) or do I allow her to go in the coop at nighttime only? Last night she slept in the crate in the run because I need some guidance on what to do. My gut says to leave her in the crate, I just don't want her to get bullied. I have an automatic door that had opened later which I thought could be the issue now it opens at 5 am....I also found this morning 3 others have slight injuries to their earlobes(which I'm treating) They could have been up earlier then when the door opens and that's when I'm thinking the injuries happened. There is no evidence of blood in the coop, so I don't know if my theory is correct. I have a wifi camera I am setting up in the coop to see whos doing the damage. I also have a wifi camera to monitor the run which is 24x18 for 11 hens. They have a lot of distractions.... swings, ladders, roosting posts, hanging pumpkins all sorts of things. I don't believe the injuries happen when their in the run. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is my first flock and I'm trying to work out all the kinks :rolleyes:

Can you fit the crate in the coop at night? That way she can be inside and in the crate. Just make sure you have her somewhere out of pooping range of the other birds.

Yes...but what would that change? (No nasty tone) I thought leaving her in a familiar place would cause less stress. So from what I'm gathering from your responses is that I should not put her in the coop until healed?

I am currently treating her wounds. She is eating, drinking and acting pretty normal. Here's where my question comes in....What to do at night when all others go in the coop? Do I leave her in the crate in the run until healed (no active bleeding) or do I allow her to go in the coop at nighttime only? Last night she slept in the crate in the run because I need some guidance on what to do. My gut says to leave her in the crate, I just don't want her to get bullied.
I also found this morning 3 others have slight injuries to their earlobes(which I'm treating) They could have been up earlier then when the door opens and that's when I'm thinking the injuries happened.
Can you post some photos of the injuries and coop set-up?
Were you able to determine how they were injured?

If your run is secure and she's protected from wind/rain/elements, then she should be o.k. crated overnight.

Sorry for delayed response. I haven't found any evidence of how the injuries occurred. Since putting the camera in coop all seems well. Opening the door at 5am now, no fighting in the coop but didn't think so before but I had no way of telling. The picture of injury was the best I could do. Earlobes sliced open. No other injuries have occurred and all are doing well. I keep her in a crate in the run at night. Also I have been researching the white earlobe thing...The others look like they only had soft tissue damage (not sliced completely open). But now I am second guessing the additional injuries. Do their earlobes turn white? Some have said it's normal? I appreciate getting a response from you as I have not heard from anyone else except one other person. Just confused and concerned

Attachments

• BYC.jpg
    BYC.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 5
  • BYC2.jpg
    BYC2.jpg
    747.2 KB · Views: 5
  • BYC3.jpg
    BYC3.jpg
    927.2 KB · Views: 5
keep her in a crate in the run at night. Also I have been researching the white earlobe thing...The others look like they only had soft tissue damage (not sliced completely open). But now I am second guessing the additional injuries. Do their earlobes turn white?
Nice coop!
In the photo I don't see anything wrong with the earlobe. If that's her then I would let her out of the cage and see if the other pick at her.

I see a slight bit of white on the earlobe. That's normal in hybrids - it's color leakage.

Thank you! I have her out during the day when I'm home which is pretty much all the time. LOL
I watch closely with a camera in the run or sit out with them and watch. None of the girls mess with her, they interact normally. She's eating and laying. The picture doesn't show the severity of the laceration. No others have this but she was very tired and acting different on the day I found the injury...you can see something was very wrong and that's when I investigated, I saw the lacerations and there was dry blood on her neck feathers. After she heals a bit and since I have her out mingling with them should it be ok to just let her go back in the coop at night with them? Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you! I have her out during the day when I'm home which is pretty much all the time. LOL
I watch closely with a camera in the run or sit out with them and watch. None of the girls mess with her, they interact normally. She's eating and laying. The picture doesn't show the severity of the laceration. No others have this but she was very tired and acting different on the day I found the injury...you can see something was very wrong and that's when I investigated, I saw the lacerations and there was dry blood on her neck feathers. After she heals a bit and since I have her out mingling with them should it be ok to just let her go back in the coop at night with them? Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.
If she's mingling with them during the day with no problems, I would try letting her sleep with them at night. You can always cage her back up if needed.

Back
Top Bottom