1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Help Determine Breed and Sex of my Duck!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by swshuntee, Oct 3, 2013.

1. swshuntee

swshuntee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    [​IMG]

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    From my very very VERY limited experience with ducks, that looks male. As for breed, I have such a vague idea I won't even say. But someone very knowledgeable should be along soon to tell us both. :) Of course, I am not sure it's male, at all. Does it quack or not? Some drakes have a curly feather on top of the base of the tail/rump area.

Just a suggestion: if you know the age, add that info, because it's often very relevant and too many people forget to add it, and everyone who answers often asks for it.

Best wishes.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

This one is clearly a drake.

The angle of the picture and the fact that the bird is not completely in the picture make it a little difficult to determine the breed.
    The colours fit to a saxony drake, but he appears too slim for this breed. The size and posture remind me of a Welsh Harlequin, but from this angle he might as well be a runner.

I tend to say that he is some kind of cross. A pretty one by the way [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. swshuntee

Oct 3, 2013
    Thanks so much for your help :)

5. swshuntee

Oct 3, 2013

If I sent you more pictures, and the age of the duck would you mind helping me possibly determine the breed? I am shocked because I thought "he" was female. Thanks for all the help

6. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sure, some more pictures with the whole duck on the picture, preferably from a flat angle would be good [​IMG]

7. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Hey Frank. Where've ya been? :)

Pretty duck. Green bill tells me male too.

8. goats rule 101

goats rule 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    Minnesota
    Looks male to me too as for the breed, its hard to say. Could you get a picture that shows the whole side and colorings? That would probably help to determine it better. :D From the picture you have he almost looks likes one of my rouens but the colorings are a little different and he almost looks too small. :cool:

9. swshuntee

Oct 3, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. swshuntee

Oct 3, 2013
    Hello everyone!! These ducks are both 5 months old. I need help determining sex and breed of both ducks please. All your help is greatly appreciated :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by