Please help diagnose chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Attila the Hen, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    My hen was not eating and just pecked around a bit. I brought her in for the past 2 days to keep her warm and observe her. I have given her water with ACV and she is drinking. This evening she finally found some appetite. She ate banana and yoghurt. From reading the forum I think it is a problem with her crop, so I have tried to give her olive oil. I think most of it went down her front. Can someone please tell me how to open a chicken's beak?
    I have massaged her crop. It is soft and I can feel a lot of grainy stuff in there. I do not detect any smell. Poop is very runny. She does not seem ill.
    Am I tormenting this poor chicken with the wrong approach or perhaps she just wasn't hungry???? doubt it--chickens are eating machines.
    I would appreciate any input anyone has.
    thank you

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Pour the olive oil onto a a bit of bread. Actually, dump a metric ton of oil onto bread. She should eat it right down. Birds love bread- It's like candy to a chocoholic.

Keep us posted.

3. Attila the Hen

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    Actually I soaked a tiny bit of angel food cake and she didn't like it. I'll try the bread, but my chickens don't seem to care for it. Strange.

4. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    Pull down on her wattles and her mouth will open for you.

5. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    grab her head from behind and put her head between your thumb and forefinger and tilt her head up so her beak points straight up, her beak will naturally open.
    If her crop is not empty in the morning, she probably has an impacted crop or, more rarely, an obstruction down stream in her digestive track. I would give her at least a ml of oil a couple of times a day and massage her crop to help break up any mass in it. It won't clear immediately but you're on the right track. I've got a hen I've been working with for a week with a similar problems and she is just now returning to normal. Hope your girl gets better soon.

6. Attila the Hen

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I found out what the problem was!! In a pool of poop was a 3" by 1/4" piece of rubber silicon (very stiff) I guess I am very lucky she passed it and I saw it. She has eaten and I have put her back with the flock.
    Thank you for the input--especially how to get her beak open.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Good gracious! The things these birds eat! Glad she was able to pass it. Hope she continues to recover.

8. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I never would have thought a bird could swallow something like that. Amazing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by