Please help diagnose eye problem in baby chick.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Sheriff, Dec 9, 2009.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Chick hatched 5 days ago. She is a BLRW. On day 2 I noticed it's eyes stuck shut. I posted here and warm compresses were recommended. I tried that and it worked to open the eyes. I have been having to do this with the chick several times a day since then. They stay open long enough for her to eat a little and drink. Since yesterday I have noticed she is not growing, feels thin, chirps a lot and is shivering occasionally even when under the heat lamp. I am wondering now if she is blind? If I take her to the water and put her beak in it then she drink and drinks and drinks. Once she moves away from it she does not go back to the waterer. If all the other chicks are eating and chirping around the food she will find her way over and eat but never moves to the food by herself. I have some medicated eye ointment from my vet and I have been applying tiny amounts of it to her eyelid when they are shut, then I apply the warm compresses. Our winter air is VERY dry here, in fact, my hands are chapped, cracked and bleeding. I am wondering if adding a humidifier near the brooder might help both of us?

I am open to any and all suggestions as to what to do to save this bird. I do not want to allow a blind chick to survive if that is what is going on. I hate watching my Lucy, who is blind in one eye, struggle to make her way through her day with the flock.

Please.

[​IMG]

Mary

2. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    What I wouldn't have given for just one kind response......I just culled my little chick.

3. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Oh I am so sorry, I do wish i had seen this thread before you did that.
    I would have suggeted to seperate her and put warm water on her eye to open them. and see what you see on the inside.

Again so sorry you did not any response.

4. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    It sounds like you are being a very good mommy by keeping her eye cleaned and applying the ointment. Sadly she just may need your constant attention with drinking and eating.

I know that doesn't help much. Sorry. Maybe give her warm water to help warm her up from the inside with elecrtolytes? Are you giving any vitamins or antibiotics?

5. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:I did all that for days and determined this morning that she was indeed blind. She had no reaction to my surefire flashlight being shined in here eyes. She tried to poop this morning and her vent prolapsed. She stopped eating and drinking unless forced. She weighed next to nothing and cried continuously. She was never going to live a happy chicken life. So sad but so much better than letting her suffer.

Thank you for your response.

Mary

6. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:I cannot give her fluid and electrolytes. She is dead.

7. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    [​IMG]
    Im so sorry. I just had EE chicks hatch this past friday and 1 baby only lasted a couple of hours. I felt horrible.

At least fell proud knowing that you did the best for her. You are a great chicky mom!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by