Please help. Did my embryo die?

Mary Coleman

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 22, 2012
North Eastern Oregon
So today is the two week mark for my embden goose eggs. I candled them and the first one looked great, big veins running all over and I could see movement, but the second egg was just a dark blob on one side of the egg. I couldn't make out any veins or see any movement. Is the egg okay or has it gone bad? How can I tell if an embryo has died? I may just be over reacting, but I just want to be sure.
(sorry it's not the greatest photo) but you can see that it's just a dark blob.

Last edited:
Are you candling into the air cell? (sorry, it's not real clear in the photo).

If you shine the light into the air cell, you will see the blood vessels if they are present and active. Watch for spontaneous movement as well.

Goose eggs do have an incubation protocol beyond the normal chicken and turkey incubation, including cooling and misting. I can't advise on that, having never incubated goose eggs, but it seems the humidity may be a bit high and it doesn't look good for that egg.

*UPDATE*
Well that questionable egg ended up not making it.... BUT!.... I woke up this morning to an externally pipped egg! How much longer should it be before the little fella is out?

It looks like good hatching humidity. Make sure the ventilation is open and give him or her all the time it wants! May be 24 hours or more but that is a big pip so may be sooner. As long as you see it working at it and don't hear shrill distress cries, let nature take its course.

Last edited:
I was suprized by how big the pip was! right now the egg is pretty still and quiet. I'm just guessing that it's resting until it gets enough energy to hatch out?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom