Please, HELP! Dieing Keet needs all the help I can get for her.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kaslyria, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Kaslyria

Kaslyria New Egg

Oct 29, 2010
    I've been discussing this on the guinea fowl forum, but no one seems to know a way to help. She's now hit critical, and I REALLY need anyone's and everyone's ideas of what to try. I've never done this before, and I really want her to live if it's at all humanly possible. PLEASE, follow the link and read what I've already posted on the other forum, as it explains her condition from starting, and from her new critical status that started a few minutes ago! You don't have to be registered to read the link, and you can post your replies here to this thread. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. Thank you in advance.

http://www.guineafowlinternational.org/forum/index.php?id=38261

2. Kaslyria

Kaslyria New Egg

Oct 29, 2010
    I forgot to mention that you don't have to have knowledge of keets or guineas. She'll respond to the same treatments as chicks or chickens. Whatever trick or thoughts you have.... I'm open to the ideas.

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    So sorry to hear you are struggling with this one keet. To be honest, sometimes some little ones may have something going on internally that will be beyond your control and you lose them. I hope this is not the case but be prepared.
    You can put extra electrolytes and vitamins in its water. Gatorade, sugar, etc. if you have baby vitamins such as poly-visol without iron can be added to the water to help boost this baby's energy. Add some of this to feed to make a gruel and use a syringe and feed it every 2-3 hrs. Hopefully someone else has some other suggestions as well
    Good luck with this one and keep us posted.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  4. Kaslyria

Kaslyria New Egg

Oct 29, 2010
    Thank you. I don't have any baby vitamins, but that's a simple trip to Wal-mart. I had been debating trying to make a gruel, but had not yet done so. I'm still hesitant since she seems to reject water so much. But I guess at this point, she either chokes on the food and dies, or she slowly starves to death.
    *sigh* I know it's likely that something is just genetically wrong (for all the reasons stated in the link), but I just can't help but really wanna save her. I know if it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be... but I'm just not ready to give up on her and put her in fate's hands. My hands seem so much safer than fate's.

5. Kaslyria

Kaslyria New Egg

Oct 29, 2010
    She died

6. Chloe09

Chloe09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2009
    Sanford, NC
    So sorry that the keet didn't make it. We hatched guinea keets for the first time in July and we had 2 that didn't make it. I had one that lived about 2 hours and one that was alive for about 36 hours. I tried everything, but the keet died. My keet looked normal and would eat with encouragement, but became weaker and weaker, breathing became labored and the keet died. I hated it, but I felt as though there may be other things going on with this keet and that may be true with your keet. Know that you did everything that you could for the keet and now focus on the care of the other keets.

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:I'm so sorry. I'm glad she didn't suffer for too long. I'm sure she new she was being cared for. Again, sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by