Please help - Dodgy Roo needs to be identified (and his mom too)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MammaHen, Feb 26, 2009.

1. MammaHen

MammaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Knysna, South Africa
    Awhile ago a black hen arrived on our farm and decided this was to be her home. I don't know what she is although I suspect a black Australorp. This is all well and good but she's recently hatched some chicks after my RIR had his wicked way with her and now 2 of her chicks are roo's and have a suspicious game hen sort of look about them. (I'm not to partial to the game hen thing, they look like they wearing fishnet stockings and stilleto's to me) Please have a look and see if I'm seeing things that aren't there. Maybe I've just forgotten what a young RIR looks like!
    [​IMG]

this is what mom looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    mum is not australorp, she looks more like a light breed cross.

3. bantamgal

bantamgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    The one on top with the green legs has some pretty long legs. So I would say there is probably some modern game in him.

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    I agree, the female is not a BA, she's definately much lighter. The male look likes a modern x RIR

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I see you are from Africa. Maybe there is some other kind of chickens over there that I am not familiar with.

6. MammaHen

MammaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Knysna, South Africa
    Quote:So that means mom must have modern game in her somewhere as he's one of her babies and he was fathered by a RIR. Is it possible not to show at all in her but be passed on to her offspring? Sheesh, no wonder I fell asleep in Genetics at school. It still stumps me!

7. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    not necessarily... young roosters gone through those weird teenage stage can look gangly and out of proportion.. you'll probably can get a better idea when he's over a year old..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by