Please HELP!!! Don't know what is wrong with my 20 day old chick.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by toetoe, Sep 5, 2010.

1. toetoe

toetoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Ferndale
    This chick is 20 days old. At first it was as active and running around like the others. [​IMG] I have 10 chicks all together and not one other is doing this.

Things that seem strange:[​IMG]
    1. spends most of the day sleeping.
    2. Feathers are all puffed up.
    3. wings are not on it's sides like the others they drop to the ground.
    4. Very seldom keeps with it's mom and other chicks.
    5. Wobbles when it sleeps on it's feet.
    6.When it dose go to mom when she has found food it dose not run fast like the others it kind of waddles over.
    7. Some time it will stand and sleep while the others are like 100 feet away.
    8. Very docile, if I bend over and pick it up it dose not move. It just stands there and when I did lift it up it did not try to get away just stood there in my hand and fell asleep.
    9. Hardly uses it's wings to get up or get to mom. Seven days ago it was the first of the brood to fly up on my 3 feet high brooder.
    10. Is not scratching or dirt bathing like the others.

Things that are normal.
    1. It is drinking and eating, mind you not as much as the others.
    2. cheeps for mom.
    3. crop seems fine.
    4. legs are fine.
    5. eyes are fine.
    6. Feathers are coming in normal.

Here are some pics that I took today of it.
    Please if anyone can give me any idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    Hmm mine have done that too hopefully someone will come along and help

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Have you seen it poop?

2 main possibles come to mind. Botulism(toxin) or Cocci. Cocci is the most likely.

I would get some sulmet and start treating immediately. It doesn't have long left at this stage.

Matt

4. toetoe

Aug 3, 2009
    Ferndale
    Sorry I am new at this ..what is sulmet?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Sulmet

Most feed stores will carry it.

Matt

6. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Make sure it has not got Pattsy butt. That it doesn;t have hard poo stuck to ist's bum. It may have a vitamin deficiency. Riboflavin. You need to get infant vitamins without IRON - you get it at the pharmacy and a few drops will turn the water yellow/green. Make sure your chick drinks even if you need to give it through a dropper every hour.

Oesdog - good luck [​IMG]

7. toetoe

Aug 3, 2009
    Ferndale
    Thank you I will go get some and see if that helps.

8. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    It looks like your chicks are outside? It is pretty unusual for broody-raised chicks to get cocci, but if they have been on the ground for about 2 weeks (or their whole lives), i would assume coccidiosis also. But i would recommend Corid - or any other Amprolium product for treatment.

Liquid Amprolium can be found at many feed stores. Some also carry a powdered version that is about twice the strength of the liquid. It is fed in the waterer for 5-7 days, and you feed it to the whole flock of the same age. It is common for just one chick to show signs before others get sick.

(Corid and Sulmet are the two most often recommended medications for coccidiosis, and you will see that BYC members have differing opinions about which works better. Best thing at this point is to medicate with whichever you can find most easily.)

If you can't find the medicine right away, go ahead and feed plain yogurt to ease the intestines of the trauma caused by cocci, and continue to feed it while you medicate.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  9. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    If you use a dropper to give water be careful not to drown your chick so keep its nostrils clear of fluid!

Oesdog

10. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    coccidia until proven otherwise- can't hurt to treat, and may save the chick. I would pull this one from the outside and put into a brooder, getting chilled will kill it as fast as the coccidia. If it is not keeping up with mom, you need to bring it inside & keep it warm & make sure it is eating & drinking the medicated water. Also you can check what the feces look like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by