Please help don't know what to do

Tlw20202013

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 4, 2014
This morning one of my hens, Chomper, wasnt racing to eat food with the rest. She wasnt interested at all. Her crop isnt swollen per say but it wasnt all the way down from not eating all night. I presented her with some grit in my hand which she ate. I went to get water but she seemed uninterested until i put it in her face then she started drinking. I put some food in front of her face too but she simply half pecked at that. I cooked an egg for her. She ate some of it but the sort of big pieces its like shes too weak to really break it apart? And after a few bites she lost interest in that too. So now shes just sitting here in a sort of lala trance. Shell respond if i pick her up, my dog gets too close. But other than that shes not that responsive and shes falling asleep right now. Shes two years old and is a golden buff.

Her comb and face are red and look normal. As for laying i have 12 laying hens and ive only gotten 10 eggs today. Most of them are 2 years old, half are almost three so they lay on and off

I wonder what's upsetting her. Have you seen her droppings recently? I guess with 12 of them it's difficult to know who has done what... I'm no expert and I am sure others on here are far more knowledgeable so apologies I can't offer anything insightful... I truly hope she perks up. Keep us updated?

She wont eat anything solid. I got her to eat plain yogurt and water. After eating some yogurt she momentarily did a little grooming. Her poop is mostly water and white stuff now but it doesnt smell normal it smells bad.

Some Apple cider vinegar in her water will help with her digestive system. It kinda clears them out if there is bad bacteria in their system. I put it in all water feeders so both of mine have even if only one of them was unwell. Hope she is brighter today x

Cheak her crop the next morning if its full that means she has a blocked crop or impacted crop , you need to act fast before her crop turns sour because then the prognosis is a lot worse and much harder to treat , if she has a huge ballon crop or just a full crop it really dosent matter which , this means she needs your help to empty it! Go to a pharmacy and buy docusate sodium capsules usp 100mg its a stool softener , give herwo capsules and 4cc of red wine that morning then repeat again just before her bedtime , then cheak her crop the next morning to see if it has emptyed , makeure to cheak this early so she dosent start eating , if its still full give her another treatment and just keep doing this till it clears her crop and I assure you it will but depending on the severity of the impaction it could take up to 4 days. Don't worry the wine is non toxic and acts as a laxative to help move things along , you can also massage her crop a few times a day in a downward motion , don't give apple cider vinegar as it could cause her crop to go sour but do give a probiotic either human capsule or a probiotic for use in chickens , I've saved many birds with this treatment but you need to act fast because once sour crop gets ahold of the birds its very hard to save them and then you need fugal meds and its very bad, good luck to you and let me know how she's doing!

Her crop is normal this morning. Shes drinking water on her own instead of my having to bring it to her face. She still doesnt seem that interested in food but shes walking around instead of standing in one place and shes way more alert.:D

Back
Top Bottom