Please help don't know what to do!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Romeo Flahoy, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Romeo Flahoy

Romeo Flahoy Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Norfolk, UK
    Hello,
    I'm desperately in need of advice. My 18 month of ex battery hen has been laying shell less eggs for past month or so, also some thin shelled eggs (previous to this was fantastic regular layer). She normally leaves an eggy mess in coop during night and her bottom is all eggy and messy. last week I found her hunched, not eating, not moving much, shutting eyes in her run, basically very ill and fed up. I isolated her brought her inside and fed and watered her and warmed her up. I didnt expect her to make the night but next morning she was fine. Been about a week with no eggy mess (or eggs) although other two have stopped laying now it is colder. I've worked them all, de mired their coop and them and now provide extra vitamin/mineral supplement in their water. They have special ex battery feed with added vitamins, calcium etc... They have grit and oystershell available. They have greens, pasta, cooked potatoe, bread, veggies etc... As additional at end of day.

This morning I find her hunched again, not eating, messy eggy bum, eggy patch in coop (although other chicks eat remenance). I don't know what else to do. I'll bring her I doors later as its not too cold today but will be tonight. It's every time she lays a shell less egg which obviously breaks inside of her, or gives her a tummy ache. Would the vets do anything? I've tried extra calcium in giving them cooked egg shells. Any advice please. This chicken has always been skinny, bald in places and smallest of trio. I rescued them all from battery factory approx 6 months ago Other two have fattened up and are thriving. Previous to this she has always been feisty, active, friendly, hungry etc... So don't know why this has started.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Poor girl, Sad that they go through their early life in such terrible conditions. I havent had anything to do with ex- battery hens since my mother got some when I was only very young. But from what I do know is that after a year their egg production often slows. Adding some calcium or shellgrit to her diet may help harden up the shells of her eggs, but since you say you have already provided that- it sounds like something more serious is wrong with your girl. Many vets dont really know alot about chickens so if you do decide to take her- it may pay to ring around first and find who in your area may be best to take her too.

Hope someone else can give some better information- and that you can manage to pull her through this.

3. Romeo Flahoy

Romeo Flahoy Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Norfolk, UK
    Thanks for your reply. I've taken her to vets and although vet knew about chickens, she wasn't too sure what was wrong so we're trying antibiotics. Vet agreed that she was small, under weight and not a healthy girl really as pooing out whole corn grains but im doing what I can as she's a lovely friendly little girl who comes for lap cuddles. She's in the warm tonight and I've got to administer antibiotic liquid for next few days. Fingers crossed she'll pull through. Vet mentions few other illnesses which are viral so untreatable so we'll see.

4. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    try some yogurt. Particularly the Chobani Greek yogurt because it has more probiotics and is all natural. My girls love it, it ups their calcium intake and the probiotics helps their tummies! I even give them the fruit varieties. They really go for the fruit too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by