Please help D'uccle in trouble

nothingbutbirds

Songster
7 Years
Aug 9, 2012
Pennsylvania
i have a 14wk old blue d'uccle cockerel who womt use his leg he was fime last night when i was locking them away for the night. he dosent want to put any weight on it. he can move it but stands on one leg with the other tucked close to his body with the toes straight out but tucked close to his body. hes eating and drinking hes separate from the others with one antisocial black silkie to keep him company. there r no visable injuries to the leg or foot. i cant feel anything to asume he has a fracture he did fall off the roost last night he looked fine but maybe i missed something hes bright and alert he dosent act like hes in any kind of pain even if u touch his leg he dosent really mind any help on what might be wrong and how to treat it will be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Left and right legs look the same? No, visible injuries so did you feel any hard lumps on the bottom or in between the toes? Any scab looking bits, would be darker in color?

Look for mites in his scales on the legs or in his thigh to body junction. Then again he might just think he is a flamingo...

Jim

:lol: maybe he does think hes a flamingo i didnt feel any lumps of any sort his feet and legs look fine no scratches or anything he dosent have mites of any kind i check them all the time i dust them and put a spray on their legs every two weeks or when needed i got him from a man that kept them in rabbit cages dont no if he kept anything on the floors but his feet look very flat so do the 2females he fell off the roost do u think he maybe got hurt that way?

hes developed a hard lump under his hock it hasnt grown much at all

Are his joints more white than the surrounding skin? If so he may be exhibiting symptoms of gout (uric acid deposits) or Arthuritis (calcium deposits). The tenderness makes me want to go with gout. What is he eating?

Here is the general treatment guidelines:

Quote: Jim

the lump is lighter what r some other symptoms and hes getting game bird food and various fruits veggies grit oyster shells (he dosent seem to care much for it) im also adding vet rx he isnt acting any different except for the limping his poo looks fine to

Last edited:
The game bird feed is very high in protein. Usually between 20 and 27 % or so. Get a feed around 12% and follow the recommended tx from the linked article to get his uric acid load down.

ill switch him to the layer and do what it sais its actaully gone down since i put him in a cage with hay in it and hes starting to walk on it i ll try it and hope it works hes still real cocky towards the other chickens despite his leg thank for your help

Back
Top Bottom