Please help duck cant walk!!!

J3girl94

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2019
My husband bought me two ducks a month ago from Rural King and everything was perfectly fine with them both, but as they grew up one started having trouble walking. One was smaller and is fine, but the other grew big very fast and started walking a bit pigeon toed and had trouble balancing. Now he has gone downhill to where he wont walk anymore. Even when my dog approaches and sniffs he just lays there when the other one runs off. I have given them the only duck feed that Rural King carried so I don't know if the food is the issue. My husband called the vets around but they specialize in dogs and cats so they cant help. I don't know what to do. I moved the water and food so its within reach.

As an emergency measure, start giving a Vitamin B complex to the duckling, at least add Niacin to the drinking water.
Do you know what breed your ducklings are?
Photos of the legs would help too.

Pidgeon toes or wide leg stance are signs of niacin deficiency. B Complex vitamins daily added to feed would be helpful.

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-26_12-49-45.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-26_12-49-45.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 8
Thank you so much! I will be purchasing some asap!
One thing with Vitamin B: You cannot overdose! - That means, i would give the ducklings a larger than recommended dose for the next five days. I had Niacin and Vitamin C in large doses in my Spring Ducklings drinking water for the first month, whatever is too much they just pee it out, so don't worry about overdosing.
Edit: Don't give your Pekins Vitamin C - It increases their appetite and Pekins are already little eating machines…

Sorry for not disclosing that info. They are pekins. The sign said khaki pekin but they are white all over.
Well that sign was BS then: There is no Khaki Peking duck breed. There are Khaki Campbell ducks, whose ducklings are chocolate brown and there are Pekin ducks, whose ducklings are the typical cute fluffy yellow balls on legs.
If your duck's bills are more fleshy pink they very likely are White Layers, Pekin ducks have an orange, yellowish bill. Don't worry if your "pekins" turn out to be White Layers, they are funny too and lay more eggs than Pekins.

Oh
One thing with Vitamin B: You cannot overdose! - That means, i would give the ducklings a larger than recommended dose for the next five days. I had Niacin and Vitamin C in large doses in my Spring Ducklings drinking water for the first month, whatever is too much they just pee it out, so don't worry about overdosing.
Edit: Don't give your Pekins Vitamin C - It increases their appetite and Pekins are already little eating machines…
Oh thank you! I was worried about correct dosage! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom