1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help..Duck over-breeding question.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by redhen, Sep 5, 2009.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    One of my poor girls is being overbred by my 2 drakes. I have 4 girls and 2 boys...But the 2 boys seem to always just chase this one girl around and grab her and hurt her. THey are running her ragged! Shes missing neck feathers and alot of her wing feathers have been pulled off/broken also. I dont know what to do for her? I have alot of chicken saddles, but they dont fit her correctly (over the wings) where the drakes always pull at her ...Shes bleeding tonight from where they must have pulled out half a feather from her wing..and she seems in pain also.. [​IMG] I'm moving her and another girl into another small house..for the night time, but that wont help me during the day time...its going to be very hard if not impossible to keep them seperated during the day...What else can i do? Get more girls? Will that work? Is this normal drake behavior?..they BOTH gang up on her... I like having drakes around..for protection for the girls..but these guys are kinda sick! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I am so sorry you're having this problem! I had one hen get driven off from the flock by exactly this behavior last Spring. It was heartbreaking, because she was my favorite duck, and I really didn't know what to do, and I didn't realize how severe it was until she disappeared.

If it were to start again with a different female, I would get rid of the drake that was causing the problem. Freezer camp.

However, in my case, I know which drake is responsible--he's a bit of a problem, and if he weren't such a lovely specimen otherwise, I would have gotten rid of him long ago.

In your case, it may be that they need more females. Or one may be following the example of the other.

Personally, I'd separate them full time at least until she recovers. That may mean keeping the drakes penned up all day. Serves them right anyway. Then, when she is looking better, I'd let the drakes out *one at a time* with the hens. Watch and see if one is more aggressive than the other. If so, I'd get rid of the aggressor and keep the other. If neither is aggressive when separate with the girls, I'd assume they just need more girls. If both are... maybe you need a new drake.

But I am no expert. Just saying what I would do. Definitely something needs to be done, though--it's heartbreaking to lose a beautiful girl to that kind of aggression.

3. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thanks for the help! I think i will keep the naughty boys locked up in the pen and let the girls in the yard during the daytime. Its like when one starts to chase her..the other joins in....and it seems that each one starts it equally. [​IMG] The poor girl has been hiding alot during the day...now i really realize why... shes being tormented.. [​IMG]

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Your poor girl is going to love the break! I hope she gets to feeling much better quickly (and she probably will).

It may be that one drake sort of started the competition early on, and now that it's started they're both invested--so to someone watching, it looks like they're both equally involved, but really one of them started it all. That's what you'll hopefully be able to find out if you eventually release them one at a time. Give them time to cool their heels though, and for your girl to recover at least most of the way.

I'm glad you're going to be able to protect your hen. I wish I had protected mine. [​IMG]

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Awww... iamcuriousitycat [​IMG]

6. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Good luck with the separation idea. I had two drakes and only three ducks and one of the drakes kept especially busy doing his thing ALL the time and bloodied the necks on the ducks and seemed to be wearing them down. I started separating him, but everyone seemed at a loss when he wasn't there taking charge and just pouted and hung by his pen. I did find him a new home where I hope things are working out better. Though that was a little bit sad because even the humans all actually liked him. In spite of being so amorous, he was brave and funny and truly duck-like (whatever that means :). He played tag with my collie on a regular basis (though I'm sure he thought it was all more serious than my collie did).

7. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Yeah, four hens to two drakes really isn't enough. They do seem to pick out favorite girls and just where the poor things out. A good ratio is 3-5 females for every drake. Either rehoming a drake or a couple more girls should help alot. In the meantime, yeah, jailing the bad boys is your best best.

I had a white crested that was treated the same way. All the males wanted to pounce on the poor dear. I ended up getting rid of several drakes.

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG] Sorry about your hen.. [​IMG] And thanks for all your help!

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thanks for all your help guys.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by