please help! duck with siezures?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lindsayrm, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Lindsayrm

Lindsayrm Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    [​IMG]
    This is my female sweadish blue duck. She's about a year old. Shes always had fresh water and new food. Latley I've noticed she's not talking as much and started sperating from our other sweadish blue. Yesterday she looked like she had a seizure and now sometimes has a hard time standing/getting up. She also isn't eating well but is drinking and has lost a good amount of weight. I put apple cider vinegar in their water. Tonight I has her drink water with brewers yeast in it thinking maybe its a niacin diff? Please help me!

2. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    It could be a number of things. Toxins? Could she have foraged where pesticides might have been sprayed. Vitamin D deficiency. Seizures don't cause weight loss so I'm guessing there's something going on inside and the seizure is the side effect of it. Can you take her to a Vet? If you can not, keep her isolated in a quiet safe environment. Give plenty of fresh water and well balanced food. Give her poultry vitamins, peas and continue with the Niacin. Good luck. Hopefully someone with much more experience than me will respond soon.
    @RavynFallen
    @Miss Lydia
    @casportpony

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    At a year old I *think* niacin deficiency would have shown symptoms for quite a while, but not sure... I'm leaning more towards a toxin, mold, fungus, botulism...

Got black flies around too? I think @Amiga has mentioned a protozoan, I believe??

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Has she been laying? My first thought, due to my experience, is egg yolk peritonitis. It's a systemic infection caused by egg yolk getting loose in the body cavity, causing infection in the organs. It is often fatal (when not caught soon enough), but I know specifically of at least one case where the duck person got the duck to a vet (it was quite a saga, as she had to contact vets outside her area and arrange for them to consult with her local vet). Baytril was prescribed, and the duck needed to be tube fed. However, she recovered.

Since the duck has been losing weight you may need to tube feed her. I know there is also syringe feeding. I have not had to to either, some think the tube is the way to go.

Now, that's not a sure diagnosis. I would get a stool sample to a vet if possible. They can check for parasites. If that's the issue, then you can give the appropriate anti-parasitic medicine. I would not just give her anti-parasitic medicine without being sure, though, especially since she's already run down.

The vitamins are good! But I think with the weight loss and loss of appetite, she's up against something serious.

@casportpony has published a thread about tube feeding https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

And Majestic Waterfowl posted a video on Youtube demonstrating syringe feeding. I could not find it just now - will send this on, and add if and when I find it.
    Remember the passageway to the tummy is on the right side of the back of the bill.

1 person likes this.
  5. Lindsayrm

May 4, 2016
    She was laying but recently I don't think she has been. Unfortunately, there are no vets in my area that work with ducks:/

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Well, she may be eggbound, may have EYP. I would consider trying to see if a local vet who is compassionate and wants to learn, might be willing to write you a scrip for Baytril. And any vet can test stool samples for parasites.

7. Lindsayrm

May 4, 2016
    Okay, thank you! She also couldn't stand/walk on her own today

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She needs help a.s.a.p. You might start her on antibiotics immediately - use what you can find for now.

9. Lindsayrm

May 4, 2016
    Thank you for your help but she ended up passing :(

10. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    So sorry for your loss... :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by