Please help duckling feet won't un curl

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kgroover, Mar 18, 2013.

1. kgroover

kgroover New Egg

Mar 11, 2013
    Ct
    I had 4 pekin ducklings hatch 24 hrs ago and one duckling has his foot curled under, and he's walking pretty much on his leg. What can I do to help him, please any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank u

2. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi I see your concern. I have raised many ducks and in some occasions I see this happen. It it caused in my opinion by the growing position in the egg. I will give it a few days to see if it gradually corrects itself. If not I used to gently massage the foot slowly and try uncurling the foot. Like physio I guess. I have made homemade braces from pipe cleaners before at it helped straighten things out.

Here is a link if you are really dedicated to helping the little fella out...Farming Friends » Curled Toes On Newly Hatched Ducklings Give this link a shot or do the google thing... Best of luck. I will keep an eye on progress reports.... chin up.

1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That's good info. Here's another link:
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

4. kgroover

kgroover New Egg

Mar 11, 2013
    Ct
    Thank u so much for ur advice, I will def try everything to help him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by