Please Help! Duckling sticking wings out.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PeetaPuffGemi, Mar 19, 2017.

1. PeetaPuffGemi

PeetaPuffGemi Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2016
    Idaho
    Well, in the past three days, I've lost two ducklings. Today, Inky had a heart attack and died. There was nothing anyone could do. This evening, my harlequin started sticking one wing straight out. It's very strange. I don't get what she's doing. She's only 3 weeks old. Barely started feathering. She just sticks it straight out. Sometimes, she does it with both wings. Any idea what this could be?

I'm worried because earlier today, Inky just acted suddenly tired, then had seizures, before she eventually passed away. I don't want something else to happen. To lose 3 of my ducks in three days, that would be terrible.

Thank you for any input you can give!

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

That is terrible news.......:(

What are you feeding the Ducklings?.....What type of bedding is being used and have they been getting any grit and Niacin in their diet.....?.......

How sad for you ...:(

3. PeetaPuffGemi

Oct 22, 2016
    Idaho

They are fed a waterfowl feed. I had fed my previous ducks this and never had any niacin issues. As for the grit, they are outdoors 3 hours a day. I never gave them supplemental grit.

They have straw bedding.

She has stopped. It might have just been tiredness. It was very late at night and she went to sleep soon after.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Are you brooding them inside where it's warm @PeetaPuffGemi you say they are outside 3hrs a day and they are 3 weeks old maybe it's not warm enough for them to be outside?

5. PeetaPuffGemi

Oct 22, 2016
    Idaho
    They brood inside. They are out towards the middle of the day. We've had one really cold day so far, I didn't take them out then, but the lowest temp they've been out in is about 65 degrees. If any of them act cold, I'll take them in.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am very sorry about the loss of your 2 ducklings. Hope Inky is doing real good now.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  7. PeetaPuffGemi

Oct 22, 2016
    Idaho

The remaining ducks are doing great! Thank you for your help. :D

1 person likes this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My Runners will sometimes stretch one wing out, often stretching the leg on that side of the body with it. I think they're just stretching. Like ducky yoga.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by