Please help! Dying baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by anjbagley, May 16, 2010.

1. anjbagley

anjbagley Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Star Valley Wyoming
    I recieved an order of 33 chicks from mmh on Monday. When I opened the box all but two or three looked dead. On further examination I found several of them to be breathing but in bad shape. I took them home and warmed them, got gro gel into them, massaged the really bad ones and after about an hour of this I had 22 alive. (amazing enough) Problem is that they keep dying. Every day I am loosing 2 or 3 more chicks. I am down to 11 live as I just pulled another one out this morning. They look healthy, are eating and running around the brooder and then are just dead. I am doing bum checks 3 times a day and still almost 1/2 will be yucky at each check. What in the world is going on. Is it just because they had such a bad start on life that they are not making it or is there some kind of disease go ing on? I am supposed to be getting my replacement chicks from mm tomarrow. They wanted to get them here fast so that they could still all brood together but I am not sure if it is safe to put the new ones in with these chicks unless I know that it is common for chicks to keep dying when they shipped so poorly. Please if anyone could help I am desperate. I don't want anymore dead babies. In all the years I have had chicks shipped in I have never had an experience like this!

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I suggest you separate the ones with a yucky butt from those with no signs of illness. When you receive your replacements separate them from your first batch. Do you have a vet nearby? If so consult him/her for further assistance. I hope someone can help you [​IMG]

3. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Sounds like they had a bad trip via the US mail. Since you mentioned you've had chicks shipped before I won't ask about the bedding, food and heat set up.
    What I would do it give each some poli-vi-sol( wihout iron) and of you're not already I would put some ACV in their water. Maybe try some hard boiled eggs for protein. Best of luck with your chicks.

4. anjbagley

anjbagley Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Star Valley Wyoming
    Thank you. I will try all of those suggestions. What is the ratio of ACV:water?

5. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Quote:I put two TBS in a gallon, so probably 2 tsp in a quart.

6. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I think McMurray will send replacement chicks, but I'd also file a report with the local postmaster. If I had to guess, I'd say someone at your post office left the chicks outside the building after delivery, which could have been 3-4 hours in early morning. It's still pretty chilly out your way near dawn, isn't it?

Last edited: May 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by