1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help EE's not laying!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LinDamn, Jan 21, 2014.

1. LinDamn

LinDamn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    Hello, I am new to the backyard chicken keeping, and purchased a couple of EE's last May. They have not yet laid a single egg, am I doing something wrong?
    They have a clean coop and they have clean warm water and are fed fruits and veggies daily, along with their regular feed.

2. OScarlet

OScarlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    Mine were hatched in July (and possibly June for one) and two of them just started laying last week but I figured we weren't going to get anything until the light picked up. I'm in San Diego so we get more light than further north. Where are you? Are you supplementing with extra light?

3. LinDamn

LinDamn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    I'm located in Colorado and figured I'd let nature take it's course. how much light do they need per day to lay eggs?

4. OScarlet

OScarlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    I'm not sure, I think it depends on the breed. Maybe someone else knows and can answer. There is a thread with articles linked at the top of this forum called "why are my chickens not laying" or something similar.

5. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I've got 2 EEs that were born mid September (I think. I ordered them online) I haven't seen any eggs yet, but I figured that with winter and short days I wouldn't see any until Spring.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Did you get your birds as day old chicks?
    What brand of feed, how much per day, how many birds?
    Do they free range?

Length of daylight, or rather length of nigh dark, affects all breeds the same.
    Ditto reading the "why are my chickens not laying" thread.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Are your EE your only layers? Could they possibly be laying eggs other than blue/green?
    Do you free range--could they be hiding eggs somewhere?

Just saw a post where a person bought chicks last Easter and just now got a blue egg---guess some stock last year were late layers!

8. chickgirl66

chickgirl66 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    I'm having the same problem. My six RIR hens that were born in July have not laid yet. I'm feeding them layer pellets and everything. Everyone just keeps telling me it's the harsh winter and to wait til spring. I'm frustrated bc other people are starting to see eggs:(

9. kpgoldstar

kpgoldstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2013
    West Coast of Arizona
    Oh my! I have 4 RIR's that were born late September. I was hoping for eggs by early March or even mid Feb if I am lucky. However, I am in Arizona so no harsh winter here. It has been in the mid 70's all week and forecast to be the same for a bit.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  10. chickgirl66

chickgirl66 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Ironically one of my RIR laid today! And right after I posted yesterday! I was like a kid on Christmas morning! I had put fake eggs out yesterday . Not sure if it worked or just good timing. She was acting funny squatting every time I approached the pen. I found her in nest box later singing the egg song, making a fuss. Got a small brown egg later!:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by