Please help!!. Egg binding?, Internal Laying?, Ascites??. Please Read!!

Animals970

Songster
7 Years
Dec 14, 2012
I have two chicken that apply under this category, so I am making a post for them both.

Chicken #1's symptoms (Her name is Holly)

- Lethargic
- Small lump in abdomen
- Does not eat

Holly is a 3 year old Red Sex Link hen. A month or so ago she started acting funny and her abdomen was swollen. A gave her a round of Duramycin. She started acting better, then this happened. She started acting lethargic again and her abdomen started swelling again. I read a VERY informative topic on here about Ascites and figured out that is probably what she had. Before I could get over town (I live in a rural area) to get a needle so I could drain her, her abdomen's swelling started going down. I went ahead and got a needle though, just in case. Now, her swelling is almost all the way down, but she has a lump in there, that doesn't feel squishy, but doesn't feel hard either. Is it a tumor?

Chicken #2's symptoms (Her name is Snowball)

- Lethargic
- Firm lump in abdomen
- Doesn't eat
- Loss of weight (probably due to not eating)

Snowball is a 3 year old Red Sex Link hen. Just a while ago she started acting lethargic also, I gave her Duramycin also. It could tell it wasn't helping, cause she was getting worse. She acts like she is egg bound except for she is not walking like a penguin. I felt her abdomen and there is a hard lump in there that I would think would be an egg. I just gave her a warm water massage, so I'll go out and see how she is after I type this.

PLEASE HELP!, I will be out this evening, so will try to get back on here to see if anyone has posted.

Thanks,
~Animals970~

Start watching their poops for what looks like cooked egg in it, or even runny yolk in it. If you see that normally it's the internal hatching. They are older hens, and the sex link I have found do have a habbit of getting it when they are about 3 to 4 years old.

Thank you for the reply. Some droppings (they are still with the flock because there is no where else to put them) have what looks like somewhat cooked eggs in them, and I saw one poop that had what looked like green gunk in it.

Anybody else???!!??

Sure sounds like what my lemon and my Brownie girl both had. If it doesn't get any better it is best to cull, put them out of their suffering. I let lemon linger with it, and after I realized it was due to me being selfish that she had to be in so much pain. I decided any other hen with it first thing would be culled. When I had proof that Brownie girl had it, she was culled and buried in her favorite spot.

IDK... it just doesn't sound like Internal Laying to me. They're not walking like penguins or anything.

New report...

After they're warm water massage Chicken #1 is walking around forging and she is eating. Not acting completely normal, but better. Chicken #2 is the same.

Ok, This morning I have a new report...

Chicken #1

The lump inside of her has gone down, and though she isn't running around like all the others, she doesn't act as bad as she did.

Chicken #2

The thing that felt like an egg, WAS an egg. Know it feels as if it has cracked or some of the shell has been crushed.

Please, anybody else with any tips would be very helpful, please post!!

Thanks,
~Animals970~

Ok, This morning I have a new report...

Chicken #1

The lump inside of her has gone down, and though she isn't running around like all the others, she doesn't act as bad as she did.

Chicken #2

The thing that felt like an egg, WAS an egg. Know it feels as if it has cracked or some of the shell has been crushed.

Please, anybody else with any tips would be very helpful, please post!!

Thanks,
~Animals970~

Take them to the vet. Maybe that will work for you?? Either way if you start seeing the cooked egg coming out I always say then it's time to sharpen the axe. It is best to put them down when they have big issues, rather then let them suffer.

Back
Top Bottom