Please help! egg bound? duck laying high on chest

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hayleyasaurus, Oct 21, 2011.

1. hayleyasaurus

hayleyasaurus Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    East Windsor
    Hey guys, my one year old cayuga is currently stuck in the house recovering from a broken wing. She hasn't been laying any eggs which I thought was normal because shes been stressed and I thought that time of year was over. I'm becoming concerned now because she started laying high on her chest like she's trying to lay an egg and making little duck peep noises. She does this a few times a day. Does anyone know why she's doing this?
    Thanks!
    Hayley

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I don't know much about egg binding, but you could try letting her float around in the bath tub in some warm water for a while. Also put some olive oil or flax oil on her feed to help get things moving. warm water seems to help some with relaxing them. hoping for a great outcome. [​IMG]

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Use the custom search at the top of the page to search egg bound. There are good posts of how to help. Pictures would be good too, as they would help those experienced with it offer help.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  5. hayleyasaurus

hayleyasaurus Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    East Windsor
    Thank you guys! I got nervous from reading up on it and I can't do the bath because she also has a broken wing. Just ended up bringing her to the vet and no egg! haha he said that she's just looking for a mate I guess

6. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    Omg... lol. Mine Has been acting strange too. She looked like she was injured or limp, and her boy was fine. I don't know if it's egg bound but she hasn't laid in 2 days. I gave her a warm bath and a next in the bath tub tonyte. I hope shes better tomorrow... ugg..

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Don't stop with just one warm bath you might have to do it numerous times and also place her in a quiet spot away from the drake, so she can just have some time to herself. with her food and water close by, you can even warm up old towels and place them under her to help.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Don't stop with just one warm bath you might have to do it numerous times and also place her in a quiet spot away from the drake, so she can just have some time to herself. with her food and water close by, you can even warm up old towels and place them under her to help.

Please let us know how she is doing. [​IMG]

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Great news about your girl. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by