Please Help, egg problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Foghorn-Leghorn46, May 31, 2011.

1. Foghorn-Leghorn46

Foghorn-Leghorn46 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Alabama
    My water was contaminated for a week because a storm damaged the water company near me, so i could not wash any of my eggs. So they were refrigerated for a couple a days, and i got to wash them today. Then after they were to washed they were left out in room temperature for about 7 hours, because i had to go to work and i forgot to put them back in the refrigerator. Are they eggs ruined?

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Ruined for what ... eating or incubating?

3. Foghorn-Leghorn46

Foghorn-Leghorn46 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Alabama
    Eating

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

They are probably ok but for me it would not be worth the risk... don't like spending 12 hours puking my guts out. More eggs will come.

5. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    If you have a lot then you could break one and see what is in there.If it is good then the others should be good too but I dont think so...

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I personally wouldn't eat an egg that's been washed. The water lets all the bad stuff go through the shell into the egg, but that's just ME.

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'd have no problem eating those eggs. I always break them in a separate bowl before cooking- usually I'm looking at fertility, though! [​IMG]

The washing water was no longer contaminated.

The US is one of the few countries that refrigerates eggs.

They only sat out for 7 hours. No big deal.

Washed eggs don't last as long as unwashed eggs, because the "bloom" is removed. It does NOT necessarily increase the absorption of bacteria.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Almost all store eggs are washed, and they last months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by