please help egg stuck!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenman17, Nov 5, 2011.

1. chickenman17

chickenman17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Southeast Oklahoma
    One of my new laying pullets has an egg stuck coming out of her... whatever its called. Its just hanging there and the whole egg is wrapped in a red membrane type substance. Its all attached to her. What do I do? Please help!

2. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Is she still in trouble?

3. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Rub it with cooking oil and maybe do a warm butt bath and shee if that helps. The try to remove it very gently, see if that works?

4. EmmyGirl

EmmyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2008
    Skippack, PA
    Get her into warm water with a gentle soap to get things all slippery, a handshower works great if you have one. Get some Preparation H or vaseline and put it on your finger (make sure your nails are short) and try to get under that membrane and gently grease up the egg, being very careful not to break it. Sometimes a little pressure under her belly might help while you're trying to stretch the membrane. You may have to keep working it for a while, adding more goop as needed. Good luck, hope she's ok!!

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Once you get it out make sure you give her some probiotics or yogurt so she doesn't get vent gleet from the trauma.
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by