PLEASE HELP! EGG ZIPPING WRONG END! BLEEDING

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RareAseels, Apr 18, 2016.

1. RareAseels

RareAseels Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2016
    London, England
    Hello, please help i am very upset

My egg has pipped at the wrong end and when my sister called me 3 hours ago no progress had been made and I thought it was dead so I removed it and pulled a bit of the egg shell off to expose membrane and I saw movement then, and then I thought to help it. I removed some of the membrane only to see hairs and when I removed or cut a tiny bit of membrane there was blood, I'm so upset please help?! What shall I do?

2. Firekin1

Firekin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    Leave it alone and let nature take its course...if there's blood the chick isn't ready to come out yet as the veins have not shrunk up enough to not bleed. Even pipped eggs on the wrong end can hatch naturally just fine. Some chicks will take 24 hrs from pip to zip.

3. RareAseels

Mar 30, 2016
    London, England
    My chick looks like it's dried up now and it's still alive in the shell, doesn't make much noise though.. One of my other eggs have pipped on the right side.

The egg that I tried to pop open is doing well inside the shell looks alive but the membrane looks really dry and has started to cave in slightly I tried to moisten it but nothing happened it wouldn't even absorb water! I reckon the chick is completely dry by now and there are no more blood veins or anything but I don't want the membrane to kill it from suffocation.. It's been about 20 hours now since it pipped and the membrane looks as if there's no blood in or on it what shall I do?

4. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

You can moisten up a paper towel with warm water and place it against the membrane, if the membrane is dry it wick the water out of the paper towel... Dribble on more warm water to the paper towel... Or you can increase humidity overall in the incubator using a spray bottle filled with warm water, just mist away inside and close it back up...

Beyond that as said above let nature take it's course, some chicks are just not meant to survive...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  5. RareAseels

Mar 30, 2016
    London, England
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of it it's still alive but as you can see the membrane is dry

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I hope everything works out. With this little one! .keep us posted

7. RareAseels

Mar 30, 2016
    London, England
    Thanks, it hatched about an hour ago and looks really healthy! Thanks for your help, I'm so happy.. Pics soon!

8. Firekin1

Firekin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    Excellent news! As long as the chick has air they can live quite a while inside that tiny space. Many times when the membrane looks dry, deep inside around the chick it actually is not. Some chicks just take their time and it seems like forever.

9. RareAseels

Mar 30, 2016
    London, England
    [​IMG]

Here's the pic guys! The one that was bleeding before, hatched and is very healthy I just can't believe one of the eggs which I doubted because the egg shell was porous I watched it pip and pop out like a bullet within 17 minutes and his other sibling took over 30hours (the one that bled) I doubt it would of even hatched without the help from the other chick haha!!

I have 2 more eggs in my bator and all my eggs were due on the 21st day on The Monday that just went by but 2 are out today and 2 are still due(haven't popped). My chicks are still in the Bator because my brooder is broken and I'll be making a new one by Thursday do you think this is too long will my chicks hold out till then? Or should I take drastic action? I'm also leaving the temp at 37.5 is this too high? The reason I'm keeping it at 37.5 is for the late comers if they come. Also, when do you reckon the late comers will arrive by?

Sorry about all the questions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by