PLEASE HELP !! EGGBOUND HEN

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jane38, Mar 3, 2014.

1. jane38

jane38 New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    I have a two year old hen that I think is egg bound. She stands upright with her tail to the ground and has a hard abdomen. She keeps her neck close to her body. She has been acting different for a couple of days and yesterday she started showing symptoms of being egg bound. I gave her a warm bath and lubricated her vent with olive oil and vaseline. I tried feeling the egg by going up the vent but poo just came out. Where can I feel on the abdomen for the egg? Is she egg bound? She drank yesterday and earlier today and ate some feed and yogurt not to long ago. She is inside because today was 4 degrees out. I put her in a crate with a towel near a littler heater but not too close. I also covered her too. Please help I don't want to lose her.

Thank you so much.

2. KFaye

KFaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    I am thinking I have the same problem but she doesn't feel eggbound. Eating drinking pooping fine but tail down. Waddling like a penguin. I have given her electrolytes and antibiotics (duramycin-10 in her water.) hope she drinks it!

3. jane38

jane38 New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    KFay:

Can I purchase those at a Paris Farmers or Tractor Supply Co? Have you seen a vet at all? We have no vets that do chickens. Do you feel an egg or anything?

4. KFaye

Mar 19, 2011
    I got mine at Farm and Fleet. I am sure TSC has it as well. We do not have a vet who takes care of poultry near by that I know of.....BYC is my poultry vet

5. jane38

jane38 New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    I know same here. IF there was a poultry vet, their cost would be astronomical. I did get a call through to a poultry vet. She was very nice. The other vets I called said they would have to see her and I live far away. The vet told me to reach a finger up the vent and feel f there is an egg. She recommended KY jelly. Did you feel an egg?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Do NOT give your eggbound hen duramycin 10. Duramycin is used for respiratory diseases, not for eggbound hens. Put your hen in a container of warm water up to her sides. Gently massage her underside front to rear for about 20 minutes while she's soaking. The warm water will expand her innards and massaging will help move the egg along. Repeat as necessary. Here's an informative link for you regarding eggbound hens:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  7. KFaye

Mar 19, 2011
    thanks for the info. I will take the water away that has the duramycin but leave in the electrolyte water. I will also soak her and see if I feel anything. As I said she is eating and pooping fine. Wouldn't she stop pooping too?

8. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    If you can't feel an egg, and her abdomen seems hard (you can try touching your other healthy chickens to compare!) you might have a hen that is laying internally, or has egg yolk peritonitis... I hope not, but it is possible especially since she is 2+ years old. Do her droppings have any yellow to them, and has she laid irregular eggs before?

Here's some info: http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx

If it is internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis, only a vet could help her, I am afraid.

I have not had any experience with this, so hopefully someone else can chime in and let you know if this is something that might be going on or not.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  10. jane38

jane38 New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    Thanks for replying. I think she may have egg periontitis. I found a thread : https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis, that explained this. She gave her henDURAMYCIN-10 , an antibiotic. She also links a youtube video explaining this: . I will probably pick this up and try it because I have no other option. There are no avian vets in my area so I am on my own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by