Please Help Emergency ! Week old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KimberP, Dec 28, 2014.

1. KimberP

KimberP New Egg

Nov 20, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Please Help!! My Grandson,2, picked up my one week old chick with out my knowledge, (long Story and complicated), I do not know what to do! the chick is still breathing but gasping for air. She is chirping on and off, and opening her eyes. When I first found her she was listless but now she is curling up in my hand. I do not know what to do!!!! If I should Quell her or see how it goes. Any Help is welcome, I just do not know what to do?

2. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Just keep holding her gently in your hand, forming a little cave for her with your other hand. Did he squeeze her?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  3. KimberP

KimberP New Egg

Nov 20, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Thanks for answering me. I don not know what he did, I turned my back to let the dog out and I heard oh no! She is 1 week today

Right now she is sitting on my chest, she does not seem to be gasping, but she is chirpping and making little sneezing noises.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

The breathing issues don't sound good, but about all you can do is keep her warm and see how she does. If she's just bruised she'll get better, if she was squeezed enough to cause internal damage, or if she was dropped and caused the same, she won't make it.

5. KimberP

KimberP New Egg

Nov 20, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Currently, she is in her cage doing good, but not moving much. She has stopped chirping so much now that she is in her cage with the other chick. seems like she just wants to sit in one spot, so I am keeping a close eye on her. I just hope she will be alright.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by