Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!! Emergency!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FarmerBoy24, Jan 9, 2011.

1. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Hello,

One of my chicks that I have hatched can't walk. it's 3 days old. It kinda runs slanted and it wont stand up right. I just noticed it today!!!! PLEASE HELP WHAT DO I DO????!?!?!!!!!!!!??????!!!!?

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

First, take a good look at your chick's legs. Do they function like they should - all joints bend.

Then watch your chick to figure out exactly what is going on - is your chick doing the splits? Does one joint not extend?

A bit more info is needed so we can help.

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Make sure it's on a substrate that won't cause it to slip, like a towel. Sounds like your chicks legs are starting to splay. Here is some info that hopefully will help you.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

4. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    It cant stand up. Its too weak. All the joints seem to be ok. When it tries to walk it runs slanted.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

5. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Its not splayed leg!

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I am not understanding [​IMG] - if it cannot stand up, how can it run slanted? Not trying to be mean or nasty, just understand so we can help.

What type of surface do you have the chicks on?

What happens with the legs when it tries to walk? is one drug, tucked up next to the body, what?

Does it push itself with one leg?

It's too weak - is it chirping or peeping?

Is it eating and drinking? Could it have been injured some how - something set on it, jumped on by a larger chick?

If one leg is splaying - you can use the bandaid trick to help the splay leg.

7. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    It can't stand straight. So when I tries to walk it leans and tumbles over. It's a flat surface, i'm using pine shavings as bedding. A bigger chick probably stepped on her.

8. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    You could try putting Polyvison WITHOUT IRON in the water for a few days. That can be found at any drugstore in the baby department. It is a baby vitamin.

9. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    How would that help it? I mean its not sick there is just something wrong with its foot(Feet)

10. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:Well, it would just provide it with extra vitimins. It will not hurt it, so it could be worth a try. It will help the chick get stronger and possibly recover faster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by