Please Help Emergency

stumpy33

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 29, 2013
Hello everyone my name is Erika. I have visited this site to get info on chickens and roosters. On Sat night, I'm guessing late night, my rooster was brutally and violently attacked by a presumed possum. I found him early sunday morning battered and barely alive. I rushed him in the house and rise the truly devastating wounds her received. I didn't have any bêtadine so just smeared neosporin on the wounds. They cover most if not all his back and side of his lower body. I bought betadine to combat infection but my attempts must have been to little to late bcz his wounds became smelly and infected. I wanted to take to the vet as I'm sure he has necrotic tissue because of the smell and the look of the skin but no vet would see him. I've never had anything like this happen since he is our only rooster. He's currently still eating and drinking. I stopped by the local feed store and was told to buy duramycin 10 and blue kote. Is that enough and the right medicine. I'm very worried because I have no prior experience with this situation. I really want to do all I can bcz he is trying so hard to live and he is such a great little guy. Please advice this confused and helpless feeling person. I was also given an ointment called blue lotion. Is that the same as the spray blu kote? Thanks for ur help.

Last edited:
Last edited:
If you have some pics, that might help some of the more experienced people out there. If he were my rooster i would try to trim back any feathers near the wounds and try to clean them(the wounds) up with some sterile water, then re neosporin him. I used a syringe(no needle) to get some force behind the water when my chick was scalped. Also get him started on some antiboitics which you should be able to buy at the feed store or tractor supply. I was able to find a vet that treats chickens by calling local vets and asking if they knew of a poultry vet in the area. I had the best help from a vet who did livestock. They pointed me in the right direction. You may have to call dozens before one will help you. Sorry I'm not more help. Good luck.

I am not a vet by any means but I can tell you what has worked for me with a similar sounding situation.
I used a medium sized pot with warm water and rinsed out the wounds. Then I poured (literally) a bunch of hydrogen peroxide (regular store bought stuff) into and around the wounds. I even liftd up the skin cleaned under it. Once I did this and it appeared as clean as a chicken could be I used A LOT of neosporin like antibacterial cream in, on and all around the wounds. Again under the skin and everything. After I did this I actually soaked thread in alcohol and stitched up the wounds with needle and thread. My chicken which was a hen made a full recovery and was laying a short time later. Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice on the blu kote and blue lotion. I already used the blue lotion. Should I take it off? I'm so confused as am getting so much contradictory information. So I'm suppose to get another antibiotic and would I still put on neosporin. Will the tissue heal from the bottom up as I was told to just leave the necrotic scab like tissue on the back alone. I'd really like to save him so will try anything.

I'm not trying to confuse u. Bottom line, clean the wound as best you can, slather with antibacterial cream and keep the roo segregated until the wound has been covered by a good scab. Clealiness will save your rooster.

Thank you chikinperker,

I just stop by Walmart to get some more neosporin spray without pain reliever. I will try rinsing off the blue liquid and replace with neosporin. I was told by a person who fights rooster and as appalled as I am about that I listened. Does this advice sound good or should I just discard. He said to stop at the tractor supply store and ask for a medicine antibiotic I think used on horses and cows to treat wounds. He said to get the medicine and syringe and needle and he would inject the antibotic in his breast chest area. Is that where shots are usually given? I'm really scared what I'm going to see when I rinse the blue lotion off. Wish me luck!

Thanks for the response everyone!

Like I said, I am by no means a vet and I don't know about vaccination placement or anything else like that. What I can tell u is what worked for me. When I was treating my hen I was very surprised at how resilient they are. Clean the area well...be aggressive with it, keep anti bacterial lotion on and in it and segregate him. I think u will be suprised. Once the scab has formed is when I would give him some blu cote

yes, I give it im ( in the muscle) in the breast. I had a scarlet macaw that I fostered for a local bird rescue. Its pretty easy. Have your friend show you.

HAs anyone used apple cider vinegar for infection and to clean wound? Is it better than regular dish soap?

Back
Top Bottom