please help... extreme newbie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cajunbirdie, Feb 26, 2015.

1. cajunbirdie

cajunbirdie New Egg

Feb 26, 2015
    Hi everyone! I've been reading your posts for about 2 weeks now as I've had lots of questions, and many of you have great advice. I need help. I have Coturnix Quail, and they keep dying. I've never had quail. I was raised on a small farm and chickens are what I'm used to, but I fell in love with quail after just watching them for a few.minutes. They're such funny little birds! I will apologize now for typos. I'm on mobile and I didn't sleep well last night. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I bought 5 quail from a breeder that posted online. I got 3 Pharoah and 2 golden from her. One Pharoah was large, and my daughter named her Star (it will be relevant later, in keeping this straight), but all the others were about a week younger and smaller. Star was about 2 weeks old. The others about a week. It was 60 degrees when I picked them up, and it normally takes me an hour to get home. This day, it took 3. I'm in Louisiana and if you've ever been here, you know how our weather is. It dropped to 40 degrees before I got home. One died. 2 goldens and 2 Pharoah remained, including Star, but 2 were in weak shape. I figured they got too cold. 2 died in the night, on Tuesday (last week), and one died the next day, leaving Star.
    I called the lady I got them from, and she told me 2 of her smallest had died, too, because of the cold. She told me I coukd have the remaining hatchlings from the weeK olds. I picked up 3 more, and one larger one from Stars hatch, another Golden that my other daughter named Piglet. They were the largest. I got them on Thursday, a week ago. They were fine when they got home, and ran around eating and drinking and being happy little things. When I got up in the morning, they were huddled in a corner of their box. My smallest child had turned off their light when she went to the bathroom, which is where I had them to make sure I had temp right before moving them. The smallest was under the pile and dead, and Piglet was on top of the dead one. She looked smushed, but alive. I got them up and warm, and took the kids to school. My husband found Piglet dead an hour later, leaving 3. One more died on Friday, suddenly. Star and one of the smallest Pharoah remianed.
    I called the breeder again on Saturday. I told her I was wondering if they had a virus or something, as the smallest Pharoah had liquid coming out of her mouth. She said no more of hers had died. She told me she had 10 left, that hatched when Star did. I went to the feed store and a man there helped me get vitamins, probiotics, electrolytes, a larger box, better feed, feeders, etc. He was wonderful! He also told me quail, especially in the winter, are hard to raise as hatchlings, even for experienced people, which I'm definitely not, but it made me feel better. An hour of being under the light, Star began having liquid come out of her beak, clear and sticky. Both birds began stumbling. I turned down the heat, and they seemed fine. Star died 3 hours later. She just laid down and died. The littles one I called Cheepers. She looked like she was done for. I left her alone, and came back the next morning (Sunday) and she was running around and peeping happily, but seemed lonely.
    I got the birds from the breeder that day. All were very large compared to my previous bunches, at 3 weeks old. All Pharoah.
    I put them all in the same box, and Cheepers became distressed she wasn't with them. I moved her in with them. They had absolutely no problems for 3 days, and yesterday our lights went out due to snow. I moved them to another room with another heat source until they came back on, an hour later. I put the light back on them, but 4 died, including Cheepers.
    Today, I moved them to a clean box (I had been moving them to a clean box every day, btw), all have watery liquid coming from their mouths, and they're all drinking like crazy. They also have watery poop. One is yelling. Yelling! It sounds distressed, but they're warm, have shade, food, and water. One keeps twisting it's head around and walking in circles. If I pick it up, though, it's fine. No disorientation or problems. It is the only one I haven't seen liquid, or much, come from its beak. It is eating and drinking. It isn't chirping at all.
    Are they getting too cold? What am I doing wrong? I feel so helpless. I feel like I'm killing these babies and it has me distressed and in tears. I don't even care if they're male, female, egg layers, or not. I don't care about any of that except keeping them alive.
    Any advice? (Other than a new breeder, because I've already decided not to go back to her).

2. cajunbirdie

cajunbirdie New Egg

Feb 26, 2015
    Just an update:

The one that was walking in circles is moving slowly, but no more head twisting and not circling.
    The one is still yelling out in distress every now and then. Maybe she's sad the others died? She's eating and drinking and moving fine.
    The others are running around and happily chirping, lightly. No more liquid from their beaks.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I'm afraid all I can offer is my sympathy and admiration for your fortitude. You've really stuck it out with these babies, and your commitment to them is admirable.

People don't think about using hot water in plastic containers in the even of a power failure. You can do the same thing when transporting baby chicks. Old fashioned hot water bottles work great. Just make sure the caps are on tight!

One person I suggested this to had an electric water pump that would go out when the power did, so the water couldn't run from the faucets. But all you need to do is stick a hose onto the drain valve on the water heater and it will gravity feed into a bucket.

No need to stress out during a power outage!

4. cajunbirdie

cajunbirdie New Egg

Feb 26, 2015
    I'll remember that. Thank you. I just wish I knew how to help them. I really do think it is a temperature issue right now, and maybe the one bonked her head or got stepped on? She seems okay now, just a little wobbly. I just hate seeing them in distress.

5. annaBsChick

annaBsChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2014
    Herndon, VA
    Have you tried PoultryDVM's chicken symptom checker yet? What did it say the possibilities could be?

6. cajunbirdie

cajunbirdie New Egg

Feb 26, 2015
    Avian TB and kinky back syndrome and erisplaysia (sp?), so... it's all over the place and none of those fit what's going on, really.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by