Please help. Extremely dehydrated chicken

nirvanasmummy92

Hatching
Feb 1, 2022
I have a frizzle chicken who is very dehydrated. I live in a hot environment. All have access to water love their watermelon too and the other 2 chickens are fine. Went to check on ruffles her name is this morning and we thought she was dead in her nesting box she hasn’t started laying yet though but as I picked her up I relised she wasn’t dead. We have cooled her down like Google has said too and made her electrolytes up ( warm water, salt, baking soda) like Google has also said..Is there anything else I can do and quick to save her …. Please help!!!. I feel super super bad. New chicken owner had her for 3 months and now I feel like I’ve completely let her down. :( I have uploaded a photo of her she is opening her eyes and getting the fluids in her.

Attachments

• FB0AFAC4-B5A9-4B59-9EE2-0F73816B3DB9.jpeg
    FB0AFAC4-B5A9-4B59-9EE2-0F73816B3DB9.jpeg
    368.5 KB · Views: 31
How old is she? Add a tsp of sugar to your homemade electrolytes. Hold water up to her beak with a small cup or lid, or a spoon to the side of her beak and drip some in. Careful not to try giving too much at a time, but let her swallow. Could she have been kept from the water by the others? Can she see okay, and do her eyes look normal to you? Try some watery feed and scrambled egg once she is drinking. Does she have any diarrhea, mucus, or blood in her poops?

How old is she? Add a tsp of sugar to your homemade electrolytes. Hold water up to her beak with a small cup or lid, or a spoon to the side of her beak and drip some in. Careful not to try giving too much at a time, but let her swallow. Could she have been kept from the water by the others? Can she see okay, and do her eyes look normal to you? Try some watery feed and scrambled egg once she is drinking. Does she have any diarrhea, mucus, or blood in her poops?
Thank you for your message and advice. She’s about 7 months. We have syringed little bits of electrolytes into her mouth and she has been swallowing it. Not that I know of with the diarrhoea , mucus or blood in her poos they are free range on our property and just had a look but couldn’t see anything that looks off.

Gatorade is an easy to find emergency rehydration and fast calories option for resuscitation.
Mine actually love it!
See if she will drink a bit on her own.
Electrolytes and sugar is all you can do in the very short term. Then you need to figure how she got this way and why.
Good luck. Hope she pulls through.

Gatorade is an easy to find emergency rehydration and fast calories option for resuscitation.
Mine actually love it!
See if she will drink a bit on her own.
Electrolytes and sugar is all you can do in the very short term. Then you need to figure how she got this way and why.
Good luck. Hope she pulls through.
Wow I didn’t know they could have Gatorade/Powerade thanks for the advice I will give her some. How much do you give yours? Thank you

Wow I didn’t know they could have Gatorade/Powerade thanks for the advice I will give her some. How much do you give yours? Thank you
I wouldn't suggest it except my vet recommended it because Minnie had very severe diahhrea and wasn't eating properly.
I gave her a few drops on her beak and then I let her drink it freely. It was honestly a bit disconcerting how much she loved it. A more 'chemically' smelling thing is hard to imagine!
For a couple of days it was her only water source and then I released her from the hospital ward and let them all finish up the big bottle.
It definitely perked her up a lot.

She passed away before in my arms. Not sure what went wrong but we are guttered. :( thanks for the advice. Here’s a photo of her a couple of weeks ago when she was happy.

Attachments

• 65E47B48-CD64-4A7D-93BE-E11A3C4EADB8.jpeg
    65E47B48-CD64-4A7D-93BE-E11A3C4EADB8.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom