Please help: eyes crusted shut, what do I do??

3scorpios

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 29, 2011
Central PA
This morning I discovered my roo on the roost w/ both eyes badly crusted over. After inspecting the rest of my flock of 20, I found one hen whose eyes are half closed, but no visible crusting. I see very tiny white mites near his eyes. Please advise how I might remedy this. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
No Clue Sorry.
hmm.png

I thought my roo was going to die yesterday. He was essentially blind because both eyes were crusted shut, as you see from pics. Since I got no help here, and could find no sound advice elsewhere, I just used my best judgement. I separated him from the flock, washed his eyes with hot water and baby shampoo. I smeared Vaseline all around his eyes as well. Then I dusted the coop and him with DE. This morning he looks great! Both eyes are open and he's crowing away.

There was one hen who had one eye shut. I treated her the same way, but her eye will not open yet, so I'm going to repeat the treatment on her today.

Hopefully this will help someone who runs across a similar situation in the future.

So sorry you didn't get help here yesterday! Sometimes posts do get overlooked when there are so many coming in. I have no experience with this but I'm glad you found something that worked for your roo. Do keep an eye of them and try to note if other symptoms appear. Let us know how they are doing.

Back
Top Bottom