PLEASE HELP!!!Familiar symptoms....worried I might lose another chick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by skylarkdancer87, Mar 28, 2011.

1. skylarkdancer87

skylarkdancer87 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Middle southern TN
    So I lost three bantam chicks from TSC, they all did the same thing, slept alot, were unsteady on their feet....this would last about a day or so then they would go limp and go into respiratory distress (open mouth breathing) would seize then die [​IMG] I bought four silkies yesterday from a private hatchery and my lil buff baby is acting similar to the ones that died...I don't know what to do, they are getting save-a-chick in their water and medicated feed....any thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  2. skylarkdancer87

Mar 26, 2011
    Middle southern TN
    bump

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

do you have them in the same brooder the others were in? If it is something bacterial/viral, it could have spread to the new babies. Make sure they're warm enough, try offering some very finely mashed boiled egg yolk, and if it does seem to be something respiratory, you may need to try some duramycin or other antibiotic in their drinking water.
    PS : also make sure they don't have pasty butt -- it can kill them more quickly than you might think.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  4. skylarkdancer87

Mar 26, 2011
    Middle southern TN
    it wasn't pasty butt and they were put into a different brooder than the other ones. The buff chick passed last night. I don't know what it was. SAD! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by