Please help fast! She is dying!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cowhlb, Jul 28, 2014.

1. cowhlb

cowhlb Songster

Apr 4, 2014
    Virginia
    My brother went out the feed the chickens and he comes running up to my room yelling "COME ON! OAKLY IS ALMOST DEAD!" My instinct was immediately to run into to coop yard. (Without shoes or socks.) My brother said her head was under a rock and and managed to get it out. When I saw her I immediately broke into tears. I love all my chickens and I would cry if anything happened to any of them. So lets get to the point. She is barley alive. She opens her eyes every once in a while. When I sat her down in my lap she flapped her wings for about 3 seconds. Her head is totally limp. Her feet and legs are as well. Her head is all scraped up. I'm guessing for struggling to get it out from under the rock. I had seen her about and hour and a half before that on the roost as happy as she could be. There were no wounds or bite mark anywhere. Please help me.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  2. Kiaton

Kiaton In the Brooder

May 2, 2014
    New Mexico, USA
    I don't know if there's anything to do if you're at that point... I'm sorry. Can she eat or drink anything?

3. cowhlb

cowhlb Songster

Apr 4, 2014
    Virginia
    We did put electrolytes in some water and put some in a syringe. We squirted a little but in her mouth and she drank it. Her poop is really really liquidy and has this cream colored substance. Sorry if its a little to much detail. I can post pics of it if you would like.

4. cowhlb

cowhlb Songster

Apr 4, 2014
    Virginia
    She is dead. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Kiaton

Kiaton In the Brooder

May 2, 2014
    New Mexico, USA
    Pictures would help a lot actually. Its good she's drinking.

6. cowhlb

cowhlb Songster

Apr 4, 2014
    Virginia
    She has passed now but here is her poo. [​IMG]

7. Stiggy

Stiggy Songster

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I'm sorry for your loss :(

8. jennfurtrombly

jennfurtrombly In the Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    I am so sorry. :( I don't know how she got her head under a rock, but it sounds like she possibly injured herself trying to escape. So, so sorry. :(

9. cowhlb

cowhlb Songster

Apr 4, 2014
    Virginia
    Thanks.[​IMG] I am devastated.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. Do you know how her head got stuck under the rock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: