please help!! feral cats!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hchorselover, Aug 13, 2010.

1. hchorselover

hchorselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    when we moved into our new house we didn't let the cats inside so we feed them on the porch. Soon after that two cats started coming to our porch to eat but we just ignored them and let them eat. Well when we were watching the chicks play outside we saw two kittens poke their heads out of the old barn/shed then the same cat we were feeding looked her out too. We tried to look closer to count the kittens but she would run away. Well what I am asking is, does anyone know a way to let the mama get near her babys or even her because when they grow up a little more we wanted to take them to the vet to get fixed because we don't won't, nor could we handle any more cats right now [​IMG] Or should we just ignore them?

thanks!

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Usually you have to use a live trap to catch adult ferals. Depending on the age of the kittens, you might be able to lure them out with food. They're usually a little easier to catch if you can get them with their noses stuck in a dish of cat food. I've used a fish net on the end of a five-foot pole. (also what I use to catch my chickens with).

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Canned cat food works wonders when tame feral cats. All my cats are former feral rescues. They make great pets. Obviously you can't keep them all, but by starting the taming process then others will be more inclined to want a kitten. It's is great that you are getting the mama fixed.

4. hchorselover

hchorselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    thanks for the advice ill buy some canned food and put it in some of the live traps and see how it goes. And about the kittens when the mama left to eat for a little bit i got pretty close to them and they didn't pay any attention to me so they should be easy to catch.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    they should be easy to catch

I've made that same mistake before.
    Never underestimate the speed or ferocity of a small kitten

I'd try to catch the female in a live trap, and then, using HEAVY GLOVES and a net, go for the kittens​

6. stoo

stoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Hagerstown
    if they are real young I let them come up to eat and catch them by the scruff of the neck or use a live trap
    geting them fixed is the best solution, don't ignore them or they will keep multiplying

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:They'll keep multiplying whether you ignore them or not--get 'em spayed or neutered. Even outdoor/feral cats, once they're neutered will keep other cats away--that at least is the thinking of a lot of people who rescue, neuter and return feral cats.

8. my3chickens

my3chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    I agree with all the advice given. Just wanted to let you know I am the proud owner of 8 feral cats, all of which I have gotten spayed, neutered, and vaccinated. They really do make the best pets, some food, nice warm & dry shelter, a little bit of attention, and they repay you by keeping down the rodent population. I'm not a big advocate of keeping animals outside but ferals do really well and seem to prefer it, so an added bonus of no litter box!!

Spread the word to spay and neuter, every 6 1/2 seconds a shelter animal is euthanized [​IMG].

9. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    You've got some good advice. I've had feral kittens warm up to me easily, but I've had some be totally wild and need to be trapped. You might want to get gloves if you have the second kind. But, once you feed, deflea and groom the little kittens, they will warm up to you really fast.

10. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    And just a warning, ferals can bite through leather gloves. I had it happen while transferring one from the trap to the carrier. Fortunately I managed to trap her again a day later, through some miracle, and didn't have to have the rabies shots. (Did have to see the doc, get antibiotics, and have a tetanus shot, though.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by