Please help figure out breed/mix

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AFuller99, Sep 20, 2016.

1. AFuller99

AFuller99 New Egg

Aug 15, 2016
    Let me start by saying that we are brand new to keeping chickens. My husband has discovered the local chicken sale, and brought these babies home for our Silkie hen. She has been sitting on eggs for 6 weeks, determined to hwatch her eggs. We brought the chicks out, hoping to trade chicks for eggs, but she wasn't having it. She will hatch those eggs and raise her babies. And she aggressively protects her whole family. I'm the only one she hasn't gone after, yet. Of course, I bring food and water and pet her, but don't mess with the Chicks or eggs. I really would love to move her from the horse's poop corner of the run in that she built her nest in, but I don't want to upset her.

Anyway, the chicks. My husband won a basket of 13 chicks from the local sale. Breed and age were unknown. They ranged from all fuzz to some feathers and fuzz. I was wondering if anyone could give some suggestions on what hubby brought home? We have had them for 2 weeks, if that helps at all. Getting pictures was quite the feat, so I apologize for the lack of good pictures. Any and all help is much appreciate!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If she has been sitting on those eggs for 6 weeks - they are infertile or dead. That's much too long for her to be in a no-win situation. You should try to break her broodiness.

There are many articles on BYC, explaining how to do that.

3. AFuller99

AFuller99 New Egg

Aug 15, 2016

Agreed. Our neighbor has been helping with that part of the equation...that's why we got the chicks that I asked for help figuring out the breed/mix.

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Are they smaller then normal chicks? Do they have feathered feet of puffy cheeks?

5. AFuller99

AFuller99 New Egg

Aug 15, 2016
    I'm trying to load more pics, but can't :(

Babies are of different ages, but don't seem too small. They're decent sizes compared to my Silkie hen that adopted them. They do have clean legs, and clean faces, if that makes sense.

Will try to post pics I took on lunch break. The hen keeps taking the chicks to places not yet ready for critters, and he's down in an area that is not clean. Not sure why, but drives me crazy!

6. AFuller99

AFuller99 New Egg

Aug 15, 2016
    sorry, these are not the best pictures.

2 babies that were the smallest, and still fuzzy when we got this bunch of chicks. the other chicks had a bit more feathers, but not too different than these 2, when hubby first brought everyone home.
    [​IMG]

the big black chick is the largest, and i'm fairly sure is a roo.
    [​IMG]

thought this pic with adoptive mom would help with size.
    [​IMG]

7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I want to say they are a type of bantam because they some of them look like they have the same "shape" as them :/. Also they could be mixes, since we have so little to go on I would post pictures as they grow. I can't wait for you to narrow it down!

8. AFuller99

AFuller99 New Egg

Aug 15, 2016
    Thank you!

I will try to add weekly pictures. We've had them for a week and a half, and I'm excited by the changes we see. I never realized how quickly chicks grow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by