Please help figure this out!

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
Hen. Found a month ago with what I thought was a broken leg. Splinted leg, put her in a sling. 2 weeks later, she's still not eating, panting. So I euthanized her.

6 week old chick-found with what I thought was a broken foot. Splinted the foot. She has been gasping for a week now.

6 week old chick-found with legs paralized, walking on hocks. Gasping. 5 days now.

Now I'm thinking that they are not broken leg and foot, it's paralysis in all 3.

So, the 3 year old hen is in a coop 30 feet away (3 other healthy roomates),, different shavings, different pen, different waterer, than the 2 chicks (there are 10 chicks, 2 are sick). The feed is different, however the chicks ended up with the hen food for a day because I ran out.

20 other chickens in another coop with their own setup and had the same feed, are fine.

So what factor could tie the hen and 2 chicks together-other than possibly the feed? I'm very sad and just don't understand it.
hit.gif

I suggest you read up on Marek's and see if the symptoms match. Marek's is spread through the air. If the wind is blowing from the sick hen to the chicks, they can get it.

I sure hope I am wrong.

I don't know if it could be Marek's, I have a closed group of chickens, and everyone has been hatched here.
This is a very sad puzzle.

Back
Top Bottom