Please help!!!! first hatch and having to check every 30 mins

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Silkie<3, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Silkie<3

Silkie<3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Valley View
    Ok, it's my first hatch and i honestly dont think im going to make it another 13 days :( I was given a Lg incubator for my birthday and i couldn't wait to use it. Well i had 40 eggs to start (one cracked so now all i have is 39) but anyways every 30 minutes i have to open the lid and cool the eggs because the incubator gets up to 104 every thirty minutes even at night z_z so i dont sleep anymore. i'm at the lowest the incubator can go and its in a closet so no drafts :( please please help :(

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Raise your light? Set it on a dimmer switch? What wattage bulb are you using? Maybe you can try switching to a lower wattage bulb. Don't give up! [​IMG]

Maybe open the vent holes? Does it have a thermostat? Is it a three prone plug and if so is it properly plugged into a three proned outlet? Because if it has a thermostat the thermostat may not work right if it is not grounded right.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. Silkie<3

Jun 4, 2011
    Valley View
    I'm using an Little Giant still air incubator :/ (sorry i'm a little nooby)

4. Silkie<3

Jun 4, 2011
    Valley View
    all the holes are open and the humidity is at 50/52 :/

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

The temperature will go up and down, kinda like your furnace going on and off, if you know what I mean. It will not stay the same all the time. You have to take the highest temp and the lowest temp and average them, to know what your temperature really is.

1 person likes this.
  6. Silkie<3

Jun 4, 2011
    Valley View
    I think i know what your saying, the temp in the incubator never goes under 100 :/ it spikes to 106 if i don't check on it and my humidity never goes under 45%

7. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    not sure if yours has a fan or not but what it sounds like is you have it in a room that is fairly warm or you have a bad thermostat in your incubator making it difficult to regulate the temp. try placing it in cooler room away from any heat (such as light comming in from a window) source or furnace vent. incubators are designed to keep the heat not cool it's self down if it were to overheat. I would call the company as well and explain the situation with the temp you may have a faulty thermostat. first i would place it in a cooler spot to try to save your hatch.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

So, the average of 100 and 106 is 103. With a still air incubator, you want around 101.5 - 102. So, you are not far off that.

What kind of thermometer are you using? Are you sure it is accurate?

1 person likes this.
  9. Silkie<3

Jun 4, 2011
    Valley View
    I'm using a digital thermometer/hygrometer i got from walmart:/ i dont have a fan and its in a closet thats maybe 65 degrees in there thank you all sooooo much :/ !

10. Silkie<3

Jun 4, 2011
    Valley View
    Tomorrow i'll ask if she still has the thermometer that came with the incubator and see if i could have it :/ i knew incubating with an Lg would be hard (i have read countless of horror storys [​IMG])
    but this is much worst then i thought it would be :/ thank you all again for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by