Please help! First time chicken owner

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickers104, Jun 25, 2016.

1. chickers104

chickers104 Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    I bought six chickens from a feed store and was told they were Cochins and buffs. One actually ended up being a polish chicken so I'm not sure if those Breda were right. Being that I don't know the breeds I also don't know if they are pullets or cockerals. They are 9.5 weeks old.
    [​IMG] chicken 1
    [​IMG] chicken 2
    [​IMG] chicken 3
    [​IMG] chicken 4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] chicken 5 is the polish. Started developing a crown and waddle this week. Both pictures are of one chicken.
    [​IMG] chicken 6 started developing more red in the waddle this week

Any help would be appreciated!! I'm thinking I have a lot of roosters and hoping I'm wrong.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Both buff birds are pullets. The other four are cockerels.

3. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I think you have a lot of roosters too :( Bird one is a cockerel, perhaps a leghorn or a rock, though it looks to maybe have red earlobes which would indicate he's a plymouth rock, or maybe another red sex link cockerel whose red shoulders haven't come in yet.

Second and third birds are both cockerels, and with the color bleeding through on their shoulders my guess on them would be red sex link cockerels.

The third bird is indeed a buff cochin and looks to be a pullet.

Bird four is another red sex link cockerel.

Bird five is a buff laced polish, and with the swept back crest and the development of combs and wattles I would say cockerel.

Bird six looks like a buff cochin pullet if the legs are feathered, I can't tell from the picture.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  4. chickers104

chickers104 Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    Both buffs have feathered legs.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Two buff Cochin pullets. One Polish cockerel. Three white cockerels, red sex links and the solid white may be a rsl or may be a white Rock.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sounds like a shopping list - agree with donrae :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by