please help!!! first time hatcher and don't know what to do .

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rooster1969, Nov 22, 2008.

1. rooster1969

rooster1969 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    i don't know where to start. i put 2 eggs in 1588 genises on day 18 one hatched on day 21 the other did not . i opened it up and the chick looked developed but the yoke was not fully absorbed(this was on dat 24). at the same time i had another batch in that i orderd only one day apart, this batch was 12 eggs on day 21 one egg was doing alot of moving and i could here so chirping so i let it go to day 23 and didn't see anymore moving so i carefully pip the large end of the egg and i could see movement so i put it back in the bater. i'm realy getting frustrated , any advice would be a great help !!!!

p.s.
    i geuss i sould have stated the first 18 days was in a marsh roll-x.

thank's for any repley,
    rick

2. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    The more you open the incubator the worse off you are.You need to leave it alone get the humidty to 65% temp at 100 at just let them hatch or not.

3. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Do you have a candler, thats a good way to check if they are still moving, although opening the bator is not wise, I candle mine if they are a few days after hatch date, before I do anything else.
    Chrissie

4. ddeans

ddeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I noticed you didn't post anything about the temperature or hunidity. Were they both correct

5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Stop opening the incubator and stop opening the eggs. They will either make it out or they won't but you are not helping the situation by checking. I have had chicks hatch 7 days after their hatch date. Don't mess with the incubator!
    :DBecky

6. rooster1969

Oct 24, 2008
    thank's alot for all the info, the temp was right but not sure about the humt. i have learned so much from all you gals and guys you've been more help than it can tell you!
    thank's,
    rick

7. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The Genesis 1588 is almost completely goof-proof....the only thing that we can "mess up" is the humidity [​IMG] I think a lot of late-term chick death is probably caused by the humidity too. If it's too low, they can't zip the membrane...too high and they can drown. Then there is always natural selection...in other words, they just weren't meant to make it.

All you can do, is pick up a hygrometer, (if you don't already have one) moniter the humidity the best you can and then know that the rest is out of your hands [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  8. rooster1969

Oct 24, 2008
    thank's urbamama,
    this could be my problem i just filled the water chanels up in the plastic try as it said in the instrutions and tried my best to keep water in them but i don't have a hydrometer but i'll soon have one on the way do you have any sugestions i want a good one price does'nt realy mater.

thank's,
    rick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by