Please Help First time hatcher

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greenthumb89, Jul 13, 2008.

1. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    well ive read that the temperature will bottom out when you first put eggs in but will then slowly rise back up. my temperature was stead at 100.5 went down to 89 when i put eggs in and now wont go past 96.7 do i increase heat? also the little cup of water is in there and the humididty was a little high at 55% and now it went up to 62% im gonna trya dn put some tinfoil over part of the cup to slow down evaporation. thanks for any help.

2. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    My first hatch did the same thing, but it was my fault, I misunderstood the directions, anyhow, adjust in small increments until it get up to the right temp, but don't get too worried about it., the humidity will go down too, but if you really just have to cover the cup don't open your bator for too long (I would let it go and focus on the temp for now). The biggest thing, stay calm and enjoy the new hobby. Wait until you candle them and see the critters moving around inside there, that is really cool!!

3. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    What are you using for a thermometer? the little mercury kind (I wouldn't trust them too much). I use a small digital one and have had better luck with it.

4. greenthumb89

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    i have the small mercury kinda that came with the bator and then as a back up there is one on my hygrometer. i look for an average between the two.

5. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
  6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Luke I've been trying to email you and PM you but it says your inbox is full.

7. greenthumb89

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    cleaned out thanks i forgot to checkit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by