Please Help!!! First time Predator attack... ?What did it? (pics)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by PAchickenlover, Feb 4, 2012.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Hi I have a feeling that this was done by a fox but I am not sure and would apperciate your opinions. I hope these pics aren't too graphic.. I didn't know what else to do.... Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thank you for your input..

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hard to say for sure without more information as to time of day, etc, but it looks much like a hawk kill - partially eaten bird, scattered feathers. A fox probably would have left with the remaining half chicken. Whatever it was, be prepared for it to return.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yeah, hard to tell. I'd think something relatively small, more like something that would eat bites and not gulp or tear it apart. A hawk or an owl may be pretty good guesses.

I never discount that a raccoon could do that, but I'd expect a raccoon to rip it apart more. A fox or bobcat would probably carry it away, maybe to finish later.

I'd consider a skunk or possum, but I'm not sure they would eat that much. Same with a member of the weasel family. But I would not totally discount any of these.

I don't think this happened, but it's possible that something else killed it and then something scavenged. I don't think it would have been vultures. They would not have left that leg. I've seen what they do to a dead skunk. Vultured are thorough. Thye don't leave anything edible. If mice or rats had scavenged, you'd see droppings.

Not all predators read the book and behave as they "normally" do. That's something else that complicates it. But I keep coming back to maybe a hawk or owl.

4. chigger bait

chigger bait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Jonesborough, Tennessee
    I'm saying a hawk did this.

From the looks of it.

5. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Thanks, We do have Red Tailed Hawks here and we have Bald Eagles.. We have foxes, raccoons, skunks, and opossum also... We have only ever seen a fox in our field once. I have trapped several Raccoons and possum... I have never seen the Hawks go after our chickens, not to say that they haven't done this. Oh, we do have Great Horned Owls also... We live on 10 1/2 acres so it is hard to say exactly what did it, none of us saw it happen or know exactly when it happened. Our chickens are locked away in our coop every night so I do not think it was a nocturnal predator..
    Thanks for all of your resopnses! I really appreciate the help.
    Mollie

6. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I forgot to mention that lastnight we moved All of our hens and a few of the roo's in to our old dog pen, which is rather large. So now I do not have my hens running all over our property.. Sure hope I can find out what dod that to my hen... Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by