*Please help* First timer with lazy/twisted wing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by maralynn28, May 27, 2010.

1. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Hi all,
    It seems my wonderful slug muncher has developed lazy and/or twisted wing. I'm pretty sure it's due to her overwhelming consumption of slugs as the other ducks are eating the same diet and are just fine. I've noticed her growing faster than the others and then she wasn't holding her wings tucked under like the others did but didn't think much of it... until I saw just 1 wing turned out, while the other is flat against her body, this morning.
    I guess I need to bind her wing or wings but how do I do this? Would it mess up her wing growth more if I do it while she is this young (5wks on monday)? Or should I go ahead and remedy this now... Do I tape up both wings or just the one, and how do I do it where it will not bother her and the other ducks won't try to peck it off? [​IMG]
    I was really hoping to avoid all this.
    Such a shame to cover her gorgeous feathers, she's a cayuga and developing much more vibrant color than the other cayuga...maybe also because of her high slug protein diet![​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Treat is now while the bird is still young. Wrap her for one to two weeks and you should be fine. Call your vet and ask if you can buy 3M Vetrap from them. It sticks to itself, does not stick to feathers, allows the birds chest to move, and comes in several colors. The human version from 3M is called Coban , but cost much more. Also make sure her regular feed has only 15-16% protein.
    Katharina

3. maralynn28

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Thanks SO much for the quick response, Katharina! I guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow morning.[​IMG] I really appreciate your help.

4. katharinad

You will love this wrap. I always have it in my house. Works well on all pets, that includes my dogs if they have paw issues, like a cut or cracked nail. They are quite active. It is water repellent. The human version is available at walmart under the name nexcare coban wrap. Cost more then the vet version. Ironically it is the same stuff. They use it in hospitals to put some gauze onto your arm after drawing blood. I'm sure you have seen it. It comes in all kind of widths and colors.

Katharina

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Most feed stores carry vet wrap

6. katharinad

That's good to know. Haven't looked at mine yet. My vet sell it to me for 2 dollars per roll. Can't complain about the price.
    Katharina

7. maralynn28

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Great! The feed store is on the way to walmart so I'll try both. I think it will be easier than trying to see the vet, but that really is a nice price! Actually out the door here in just a few... [​IMG]
    Also, her feed is high on protein it's the flockraiser but I added oats as suggested on here (and saw the ration is 1 oats :3 feed) but I added just a few more oats and also a sprinkle of yeast.
    I hope this isn't something I have to do for a long time, or over and over...I don't think she's willing to give up on her sluggy treats.

8. Donald_Ridenbaugh

Donald_Ridenbaugh New Egg

May 28, 2010
    This happened with my African Goose at about 4 weeks of age. I just took an old hair tie (A rather stretched out one, stretched it out a little more) and put it over his wrist. Worked fine, he could still move fine, and after 6 days I took it off and he was fine.

9. maralynn28

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Quote:Could you tell me more? Like you wrapped it around the single wing in the correctly folded position?

10. maralynn28

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Not very good luck so far. The girl is active and wiggly, REALLY hates being bound and is able to wriggle out of her bandage. Maybe we shoulda named her "Houdini." We actually made it pretty tight, I was actually worried it was too tight until I saw her out of it. We've changed it 5 times already, thought I got it perfect last night but I found it up around her chest this morning with her wings free.[​IMG]

It looks better already, but still pointed up a little. I think I'm going to take a pic and see what you all think. It's not that bad right now, maybe I should wait and see if it fixes itself?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by